Guess who's got a kiln !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
My wood guy and I were stacking last weekend's haul when two local WWers stopped by. One owns a local cabinet shop so wasn't interested our wood (wants only KD, straight line ripped stuff) and the other guy is a local craftsperson, a very talented turner named Steve Ainsworth (also teaches at the John C. Campbell Folk School.) who gets burls, etc, from my wood guy. Since I had never been, later we went to visit Steve's 35' X 50' two story shop (yea, you read that right, it is a BIG shop).

Anyway, to make a long story short, since Steve is mainly doing turning he no longer needs his 16' X 8' solar kiln which looks like a VA Tech design, and wants to get rid of it so he offered it to us. It is a little big for my neighborhood backyard but the wood guy has plenty of space by his barns. He also has access to a roll-on which we can use to transport it.

I left my camera behind so don't have any pics, maybe in a few days or a week or so.

MikeH

New User
Mike
NICE!!! That is an awesome score. Can we expect a KD wood run in 6 months or so? :eusa_clap

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Congrats Alan! Major score! :icon_thum
So how big is this puppy?

-----

I said, no, I'm not going to do it. And I thought about it. And said, no, it's rude. But doggone it, I just cannot resist. I'm sure Chris will understand. I can't help myself.

Chris, just what part of

"he no longer needs his 16' X 8' solar kiln"

could you not understand. :rolf:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
-----

I said, no, I'm not going to do it. And I thought about it. And said, no, it's rude. But doggone it, I just cannot resist. I'm sure Chris will understand. I can't help myself.

Chris, just what part of

:rolf:

thanks Jim

MikeH

New User
Mike
-----

Chris, just what part of

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
-----

Chris, just what part of

Dang, beat me to it. And here I am thinking that I was the only one on this forum that had tendencies toward, as LOML puts it, "being a jerkosaurus":crybaby2: :-D :rotflm:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Now I guess I had better get educated on solar kiln operation so I can train my wood guy how to run it:-D:-D:-D:-D

Since I still don't have pics- here are some more details. It appears to be very well made and though used, not in bad shape, but will need a little work. One of the two fans may be toast. The fans are thermostatic and timer controlled. The walls are insulated 2X4 construction, painted black inside and a pleasing gray/blue/green(?) outside. The sloped roof has has just a single layer of corrugated polycarbonate, but hey, I guess that's all that is needed here in NC. The slope is set at 45 deg. for year-round operation (latitude + 10). To make it easier to load, the roof lifts and can be propped up, and the short front wall is removeable. Steve said a typical full charge is 1400 bft.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person Alan :icon_thum
By the end of the week you'll have it upgraded with a wireless webcam so you can watch the wood dry from your office. :mrgreen:

Enjoy,
Roger

J

jeff...

Alan that's great news. A perbuilt and operational kiln is better than building one from stratch. Congrats and U SUCK :-D

chris99z71

New User
Chris
-----

Chris, just what part of

Oh, I get it... those ' marks mean feet! I thought it was some kind of model number! Or maybe you put it in when it's 16' long and it comes out 8' long? Or maybe I just can't read!
Huked on fonics wurked fur me!
:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS