Grr-ripper for wavy edges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I need to straighten the edges on some rough cut boards. They are too crooked for a jointer. Being interested in efficiency , or just lazy, I hope to avoid using an aux sled.
Santa delivered a pair of Grr-rippers. Their instruction book, is pretty clear about how to straighten a short board. They even have a pretty good video on that . But I'm not clear about using them for long boards. Can you just leap-frog them against the fence? or is that a little dangerous?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
When it comes to safety; I weigh the couple of hours spent making a quality jig.
vs
The couple of days learning all of the nurses names :gar-Bi

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
For really rough edges like those with bark on them, I just use the track-saw to get the first clean edge, then run the second with the rip fence. Of course, you need to have a track-saw for that.

Not sure if that is what you're asking though.

- Ken.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Tim,

I have a jig for cutting wavy edges. I will be happy to loan it to you. How long a piece are you needing to get a straight edge on?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
One method is to screw a straight board on top of your 'bad' board and use it against the fence. Keep in mind that if you have a lot of crook, you'd save more lumber by crosscutting into shorter pieces. I look at stock like that as a lot of drawer or box parts.

As regards the Gr-riper technique; I've done it and feel comfortable doing it. But it was not the first thing I did with the griper. I waited until I had a good feel for the tool before trying it. You must be able to push the whole work through in one fluid motion. Any attempt to reposition the hands could draw the workpiece across the blade path.

I love my Grr-ripper's but this is not a job for them

someone had a thread not to long ago showing tappering sled on the table saw

or making a (track saw) circular saw guide

hopefully someone will be able to find the thread of comment with the info

I like my gripper for short stock and narrow cuts but longer cuts with the grr-ripper over grr-riper method is just have not bought into

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
That's what a Bandsaw is for. If you don't have one, make a plywood guide for a Circular Saw:
How to Build a Simple Circular Saw Guide for Straighter Cuts - Popular Mechanics
cut-straight-3-0908.jpg

I guarantee you'll use it in the future.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thanks for the reality check guys. If I really thought it was a good idea, I guess I wouldn't have questioned it. It looks like I have a jig in my future.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
On a tablesaw? Dangerous.

You could draw a line with a straightedge and cut close on a bandsaw. Then to the jointer.

I'd clamp a straightedge to the board and then cut with a handheld circular saw or scroll saw.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You didn't say how long your pieces were. Last year in one of the WW rags, there was a tip to use a piece of tee track in miter slot with hold downs attached.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I would use the band saw. Even though I have a Festool track saw and 8' track, the bandsaw cuts much faster and takes less setup. It can be difficult to clamp a track/jig down to a board that isn't planed down yet. The band saw doesn't have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS