Grizzly T10097 8" Grinder / Sharpener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The 1/8HP motor seems a bit weak. I realize it is geared down to 120 rpm and that adds torque but still may be underpowered.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
This is essentially the same thing Harbor Freight used to sell a few years ago. I picked one up for cheap with a 20% coupon. It does an okay job. It is easy to bog down like Mike mentioned. I used it to sharpen turning tool and it helps to have all the jigs for it. I think if I was to get into turning more seriously I would end up with a grinder and a wolverine setup. Again depending on what you are going to use it for it will work you just need a light touch.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've already got the wolverine setup and I'm headed to Woodcraft this weekend to pickup the slow speed grinder on sale for $89. I was just curious about the Grizzly.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I've already got the wolverine setup and I'm headed to Woodcraft this weekend to pickup the slow speed grinder on sale for $89. I was just curious about the Grizzly.

Yeah that's what I'm going to go with when I get back into turning more. I used it when I had the GWL and decided if I got into turning more I would just pop for that.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I have the HF version of the 8" Wet grinder. The Grizzly looks better as it has the index bar where I had to build one for the HF. My setup works great for flat tooling like bench chisels and plane irons, but I had to shop-build fixtures to do good grinds.

IMHO, the Grizz unit looks like a pretty good deal...

C.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Here is the one I have

IMG_1108_1.jpg

View image in gallery

It has the index bar its hard to see on the backside of the picture. The biggest thing besides being able to bog it down that I didn't like was the fact that I was going to have to pay as much for a stone as the whole stinking thing cost. It's sitting on the floor of the shop now. Mike if you want to give it a try let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors