Grizzly Planer Snipe - Model G0453

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
I was wondering if anyone had expereince with taking snipe out of the Grizzly 4053 planer or expereince with general set up. One of the things suggested in the manual was to adjust the "pressure bar". Image shown of adjustment taking place in manual does not represent my machine. :slap: This seamed to befuddle the tech support guy on the phone. The tech guy also told me to raise the extension wings .040" above the table and swore this procedure is in the manual but later wondered why they left it out.:BangHead: Never the less he says that is how they set them up in the shop. I ended up lowering the table rollers way down to .002" which seamed to get most of it out but I am still having some problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:-(

chris99z71

New User
Chris
This may or may not be applicable to your Grizzly machine, but this thread mentions that on some planers, the infeed and outfeed tables need to be set as much as 1/16" high at the tips. Granted, this is just what I've read- I haven't had this experience myself. Have you tried going that high? :dontknow:

Monty

New User
Monty
On a planer, snipe usually comes from the board tipping up slightly as it passes beyond the infeed roller but still is under the knives. That's why raising the tables can help, but that won't fix the problem entirely with long boards. When I'm planing long material, I support the weight of the board with my hand toward the end of the cut, and sometimes even lift slightly just as the end of the board is passing through.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
In addition to the other comments, might try some outfeed support be it rollers or something. I don't have the model you do, but I use supports when doing longer boards.

Travis

New User
Travis
Thanks for the advice. Raised the out feed table .040" and snap, no more snipe. Getting a little when feeding the boards now but not as severe.

M

McRabbet

Travis, if you are planing several boards to the same thickness, learn to "daisy-chain" them through your planer -- as the first board starts to complete its entry into the infeed side, butt the next board up to it and keep doing that until all of your stock has been run. You should eliminate snipe on every board except the last one (and a throw away scrap behind it will eliminate snipe in all of your key material).

Repeat this process for each thickness setting until you get to your target thickness. BTW, I only remove 1/32" per pass and seldom get any snipe with my DeWalt DW733.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS