Grizzly G0462

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
While we are at it, how does a Delta 1440 perform? What I want is a big PM, or a $2,000 Jet VS. What I need and can afford are different!

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
This lathe looks identical to Mike Mathews's Shop Fox lathe. Maybe he can chime in on it. I used it myself a couple of times and it is quite a bit heavier than my Rikon 70-220vsr. Made roughing out a large bowl much easier than on mine. The only thing is I'm sure most would prefer it to turn slower than 600rpm. Good luck with what ever you decide.
By the way, there is a Jet 1642 EVS in the NCWW classifieds for sale. Wish I could afford that one myself.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Yeah, a great deal on a Jet with electronic variable speed would be ideal. I agree, the 600 rpm minimum scares me.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i have an older 1495, looks like price wise this one replaced that. i've been happy with mine. i'd suggest you look to buy used, that is what i did.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a Grizzly G0462 out in the shop. Haven't used it very much, so I don't want to venture an opinion. Bought it used from a shop that went out of business. The speed indicator lights up, but doesn't function. The seller said it was just a wire that was loose. Couldn't figure out removing the headstock to get at it, and the owners manual doesn't help in that regard. For what I've used it for, it worked well enough, but my Jet mini VS is my go to machine most of the time. I probably should sell the Grizzly and the shaper I never use either.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have an older Jet 1642evs and I can go as low as 50 rpm. Have they changed these? I also have a Jet mini and the quality is amazing. I have turned on the Powermatic 3520 at out local PTWA club and it is sweet. However, it does not seem worth the extra $2k. i highly recommend Jet.

Alamance Community College had two jet 1442 Eve's units, a couple of Delta minis, two delta v belt drive units and an older general lathe. These lathes took a lot of abuse with students including me while learning. The General was a powerhouse and never had problems. It was heavy, built well and never had issues but only had 12 inch capacity. The only issues with the Jets were students stripped the tool rest threads and lost drive centers. The minis were very good but these had 10 inch capacity and rarely had issues The delta v belt drive units were crap and always had issues with the variable speed. I took the courses over two years. Jim and Bill Wallace used the funds from our annual sale to purchase the two Jet Lathes and they made an excellent choice based on their many years of experience teaching and turning.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
The 600 rpm minimum speed is on the Grizzly lathe I started out talking about. I saw a 'deal' on craigslist and was tempted, but further research has cooled my enthusiasm. I've made almost 1,800 pens on a HF lathe, delta mini, and delta midi 46-460 with electronic speed control. The electronic variable speed is awesome. I'd love a Jet 1642, but I don't have the money to throw at one. I was thinking the griz might be a good compromise, but maybe not. The reeves / variable pitch pulley drive is a turn off, and the fairly high minimum speed is as well. I could buy the griz and convert it to a variable frequency drive, but I'd wind up not saving money.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Other than the digital readout, it seems fairly similar to my Harbor Freight 12x38 lathe. I've been very happy with it, for the money.
I plan to swap out the motor with a variable speed treadmill motor I have sitting on my bench, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I started out with one of the HF lathes. This grizzly has a large swing and longer distance between centers, but otherwise is very similar. Now that I've run a lathe with electronic variable speed, the reeves drive set up isn't too attractive.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Oh, I hadn't noticed that the Grizzly was larger. I agree about the Reeves, it's not a great design. In fact, mine exploded when the cheap cast aluminum pulleys aged and cracked, which was what prompted me to consider converting to a variable speed drive. In the meantime, I repaired the Reeves drive, so I'm back spinning. I haven't gotten around to fabricating the mount or wiring up the controls for the treadmill motor, but I need to finish that up one day, since I know it'll be a better situation overall.
Hopefully someone here can give you some more focused advice about the Grizzly. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS