Greetings from Southside VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
A few weeks ago I discovered the site and I am fascinated by the knowledge and fellowship shared here. I was able to take an early retirement last spring and move down here to Dixie. I am currently finishing the interior of a 24x24 shop that finally got erected a couple months ago [mad](BORG contractor[/mad]):BangHead: after long delays. I have all my machines ready to be set up so I can start using some of the great tips I have seen here. Thanks for being around for this ex-yankee.:icon_thum

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Glenn:

I think I'm having a problem with my browser...the pics of your 24x24 shop are too small to see. :lol: No pics ...didn't happen! What machines do you have? What do you build? Where did you move down from?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome to the site Glenn, I am glad that you could join us. I'll have to second Doug's questions...don't leave us hanging in suspense :-D
I look forward to your input in the forums!
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Glenn,

Welcome to our Pile-O-Sawdust. Tell us a bit more about what you like to build. As Doug said, please do post some photos of your projects.

Ray

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Tell us more, Glenn, tell us more! Break out the camera and give us a peek at your shop and your work.

Welcome to NCWW, the friendliest, most helpful bunch on the web.

Glennbear

Glenn
Ok guys, here we go............. moved here from NJ and I love building just about anything from scrollsaw work to furniture pieces. Up north I was very limited because of an overcrowded basement with low ceilings and insane career hours. My machine listings:
Crastman Lathe (need new motor)
Ryobi 10' Miter Saw
Craftsman 10" tablesaw
Skil 10" tablesaw (safety upgrade waiting to be installed)
Craftsman RAS (ditto on the upgrade)
Craftsman 1HP shaper
Craftsman 6 and1/8 " Jointer
Dewalt DW735 planer
Craftsman 12" Bandsaw
Black and Decker Scroll Saw
Delta Scroll Saw
Delta 1 1/2 HP DC
Dewalt ROS
Craftsman Finish sander
Craftsman Drill press (due in on 2/15)
HF Benchtop Drill Press
various hand power tools
I would be remiss if I did not gloat over my current wood supply which is in storage until shop is finished. From a renovation at the college I was working at just prior to my retirement I have by my guess about a few thousand BF of old growth pine (very tight grain) in widths of 8 to 12 inches. It was in 20 foot lengths (bleachers) but for logistics on the "great move" I had to reduce it to 6' and 4' lengths. First on the list of things I am making is furniture for the house. My desk is currently a hollow core door and I have no headboard and dang tired of pulling my pillow out of the mini-blinds. I tossed a lot of furniture from the old house to conserve space in the U-haul for my machines and wood. :tinysmile_tongue_t: I hope this pics show up of old shop and new shop

Attachments

• Closing day 003.jpg
    Closing day 003.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 201
  • HPIM0393.jpg
    HPIM0393.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Glenn. Glad you moved down and even happier you found our little wet site. You are going to like this place. Are you any where near Lake Gaston?

Glennbear

Glenn
In answer to your question Scott, I am out in farm country (12 miles to civilization) When I first started looking in this area property near the lake was more reasonable and I was looking for more profit on the NJ house. The real estate market went nuts so I was priced out of the lake area and now I am about 20 minutes away. I am probably better off with my acerage out here with fewer neighbors to disturb when I have nocturnal urges to create sawdust ;-)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are several members in the Henderson, Roanoke Rapids, Macon, Littleton area. Looks like we almost have enough for a lunch bunch meeting. :eusa_clap

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site.:eusa_clap Glad to have you join us.:icon_thum
Looks like a nice shop you are going to have there.

Danny

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the best WWing site on the whole WWW, Glenn! Nice folks here, always willing to help. Don't hesitate to jump in with questions/suggestions. I'll give you a big YOU SUCK on the nice shop you've got going up. In case you haven't already figured it out, suckage is a good thing.

I'm in Macon, NC (south side of Lake Gaston). I second the motion for a lunch bunch!

If I can help with anything, give me a shout!

Take care,

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Welcome Glen. I'm from Roanoke Rapids about 3 miles off I95 (by road) about 1/2 mile "as the crow flies". I third the idea of a lunch bunch

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Glenn,

Wecome from another Jersey native, I'm from Cranford (union county) and have been down here two years, and I have no want to go back. So, as they say in Jersey, "What exit are you from" ?

Jimmy:)

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Welcome Glenn -

I'm just on the other side of south hill from you near the town of Bracey. We just bought a second home on Lake Gaston a few weeks ago. Right now I'm keeping my woodworking tools here in Raleigh but love to join everyone for lunch one day if I'm in town . . . . Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the old bleachers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS