Green Built Cedar Bench & Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:D Hi All, this is a bench I built when it was green. I'm just now getting around to putting a finish on it. Used high gloss poly urathane. It's taking alot. Looks good now, but still needs more. 8)

Zi6_0373.jpg

Zi6_0375.jpg

Zi6_0376.jpg

Things that make you go HUh??? :?

Zi6_0378.jpg

The table has a few more coats on it than the bench does.

Zi6_0370-1.jpg

Zi6_0371-1.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Randy, nice job working with the wood grain. The high gloss really bring it out. One question with working with the green wood. Did you have a lot of surface cracks?

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:icon_thum Hi ScottM, It does have a few surface checks but nothing that the poly doesn't fill and look good. Cedar doesn't seem to be real bad for that. I had it in shade in the yard for three years before I put a finish on it.:eusa_danc

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks great Randy!
How did you do the tenons for the legs and back? I looked at the Lee Valley tenon cutters at the WW'ing show in Charlotte. Looked like they would be a good investment if you did that kind of construction a bunch.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:mrgreen: Howdy Tarhead, I have a tenon maker that goes on my router. It's not as fast as the ones your talking about but it doesn't cost but about half as much either, Does a fine job. They are very proud of the type your talking about. Then I just use a forstener bit to cut the holes.:eusa_danc

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Randy! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I was wondering what you've been up to. I actually just put the last coat of spar varnish on a rustic bench this morning. I'll probably take some pics of it once I get it home in the next few days. I love the grain in that cedar. Beautiful job! :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Randy, that's awesome. I love stuff like that showing off the true beauty of the tree. I did have to go Huh? about the long extension of the back top rail, but it's a quirky touch that makes the piece unique and original. Plus it can double as a great place to hang your hat while you sit a spell.
Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
WOW!!! that is one more pretty bench and table, and it is from my favorite species:gar-Bi.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi All, Thanks for all the kind words. Hey DaveO, I had trouble making myself cut that off. It makes it different. I'll cut it off for the buyer if they want it off but it will cost'em :gar-La;.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors