Granite worktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I often get excess building material given to me. I need to find a home for nine pieces of 3cm thick black surfaced and polished granite. I need to have all this given away within the next two weeks. This would make great work surfaces.

I have th following sizes and quanities:

1. 2' x 10' 2 pieces
2. 6' x 4' 1 piece
3. 3' x 4' 3 pieces
4. 16" x 10' 1 piece
4. L shape 3 x 5 x 2 x 10 2 pieces

Keep in mind these are about 20 lbs per sq ft
These are quite naer a parking lot so loading should be easy

If you want one or all please email me as I am rarely near a computer for PMs but email comes right to my hip Thanks, Phil

THESE ARE FREE

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, super offer Phil! The 6x4 piece would make a great top for an assembly table, but the weight.... I'm sure somebody will be able to put this to good use though.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
MAN, I'm jealous of you Raleigh folks - I'd love the 6x4, or the two 3x4s but can't get out there from Greensboro.

VERY generous offer - quite a nice thing to do for NCWW.

Just a heads up, the long skinny pieces would make great sharpening beds for fans of the Scary Sharp technique - fairly easy to chop into squares if you get a diamond blade on a circular saw (just take 5mm deep cuts, 4-5 passes will leave a good edge and it's easy)

Oh well...

Larry

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have sort of lost track of who wants what when. How about we meet at 10:00 Sat morning and split this up. I just got my old generator running and I will have it and a diamond blade on my angle grinder which should cut this granite fairly easily. The location is in Cary close to the 54 and nw maynard intersection. I am not sure if I should post exact location here so if you know you are coming email me for the exact address. If you cannot make it just tell us what you want and maybe somebody can get it for you. See you at 10 and I am hoping to be out of there before 11. Thanks

OK here is where we are at
1. Bldg mgr 1 3' x 4'
2. Nickster 2 3' x 4'
3. Pchristy 2 2' x 3' reserved a 2 x 10
4. NCTurner no size yet
5. Vetteman no size yet
6. gfernandez 1 2' x 10'
7. mkepke 1 6 x 4 and part of an L
8. bobcat no size yet

Looks like most is gone. It sure would be nice if we could have a mass pickup on Sat morning - 10:00 would be great. I am hoping to have just one pick up time, I must be there when you pick these up and the site is on the other side of town. Also if you need to cut one somebody will need to bring a generator.

Thanks, phil

Last edited:

wayne

New User
wayne
If I could pay phil to get it as far as lexington I would take the other 2x10 off of your hands.
If interested in that pchristy let me know.

Wayne

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
OK here is where we are at
1. Bldg mgr 1 3' x 4'
2. Nickster 2 3' x 4'
3. Pchristy 2 2' x 3' reserved a 2 x 10
4. NCTurner no size yet
5. Vetteman no size yet
6. gfernandez 1 2' x 10'
7. mkepke 1 6 x 4 and part of an L
8. bobcat no size yet

Looks like most is gone. It sure would be nice if we could have a mass pickup on Sat morning - 10:00 would be great. I am hoping to have just one pick up time, I must be there when you pick these up and the site is on the other side of town. Also if you need to cut one somebody will need to bring a generator.

Thanks, phil

Phil, I'll take the remainder of the 2x10 (2x4)that is being cut for Pchristy if that is ok.

Bob

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Guys - I like the idea of a mass (or semi-mass) pickup since it means more hands for loading.

Speaking for myself, I could use help loading and also cutting down one of the slabs onsite. I can slap a diamond blade is a CS saw, but apparently there is no power onsite. Maybe rework the slabs offsite ?

I can offer my place up in south Wake as a temporary storage depot and worksite, but can't transport much more than my own material (even that will be challenging). So would need someone with a truck/trailer. I do have an engine hoist and wetsaw (max ~16" wide cuts I think).

Other thoughts ?

-Mark

nickster

New User
Nick
Hey Phil... Go ahead and give him to NCTurner... I'm not going to be able to make it out and much rather it go to someone that can get it quicker than me...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have sort of lost track of who wants what when. How about we meet at 10:00 Sat morning and split this up. I just got my old generator running and I will have it and a diamond blade on my angle grinder which should cut this granite fairly easily. The location is in Cary close to the 54 and nw maynard intersection. I am not sure if I should post exact location here so if you know you are coming email me for the exact address. If you cannot make it just tell us what you want and maybe somebody can get it for you. See you at 10 and I am hoping to be out of there before 11. Thanks

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Phil - not sure how I'll make this happen this quickly, but if nothing else I can help people load.

I'll PM you for directions.

-Mark

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Phil,

Thanks for this today. That granite is really very nice, it would have been a shame for it to end up in the dump! I ended up using a piece for a shelf on my powermatic lathe and it looks great! Thanks again.

If there was anyone else who wanted any I brought the balance back to my place, well actually Gonzalo did. I have 1 of the 4x6 and another slightly smaller piece. If no one claims them and gets them the will be put on CL and the proceeds will go to NCWW. Thanks.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Phil,
Thanks again for putting this together. It was quite an effort! You spent a long time slicing up that granite. Dust mask and all :)

When I build the cabinet to put my slab on I will be sure to post pictures so you know your effort was not in vain :).

Best wishes,
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Phil, do you ever get smaller pieces, 1' x1' or so. For lapping or sharpening?

Woodcraft has a really nice slab for 20$ on sale right now. I picked one of these up before I knew about Phils offer.

Salem

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Phil, do you ever get smaller pieces, 1' x1' or so. For lapping or sharpening?

If anybody has unused scrap granite about this size, PM me and I'll cut them up for Rob and whoever else wants them. I have a wet saw that will cut up to 16" or so.

-Mark

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Re: Granite worktops- Update

Update! At this time the remaining pieces have all been spoken for by other members of the NCWW family. Thanks again Phil!

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Phil, want to thank you for all the work you did and for organizing the "Granite Give-away" you held this weekend. It was really appreciated. :icon_thum

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors