Grandfather Clock

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I really am very appreciative for all the support and positive comments, thank you! Ken asked about the wood...yes, it is cherry.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Donn that looks amazing! Great work so far. Where did you order the clock parts? Did yo have to have the dimensions and specifics for the mechanical parts before starting the frame?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Donn that looks amazing! Great work so far. Where did you order the clock parts? Did yo have to have the dimensions and specifics for the mechanical parts before starting the frame?

JJ, I ordered the plans as well as clock parts, glass, hardware, etc. from Arek Murray Clocks. As I mentioned in the initial post the plans are not as clear as I think they should be and initially this caused me some frustration. That said, irrespective of my concerns about the actual plans the folks at Arek Murray are very, very good to work with and it I were to build another clock I would order from them again. There are several different mechanical movements that you can order and depending on what you order the mounting of the movement within the case will vary.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
You are quite accomplished. Looks great. What are your plans for a finisn?

My plan is to use a finishing oil like Danish Oil. I have never had a lot of success with stains on cherry (too much blotching even with using a sealer coat), but I have used Danish Oil and I have been pleased with the results.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Very nice work. I agree the folks at Arek are good to work with. Did you do any videos along the way? I'd particularly like to see how you did the bonnet. It's beautiful.
Thanks for the posts. Look forward to further updates as you go.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Very nice work. I agree the folks at Arek are good to work with. Did you do any videos along the way? I'd particularly like to see how you did the bonnet. It's beautiful.
Thanks for the posts. Look forward to further updates as you go.
Ray, the bonnet was indeed a challenge! The plans did include full-sized drawings of a few of the more decorative elements so I am confident that many of my woodworking friends could have determined very quickly exactly what router bits were needed to execute the cuts. That said, it took me a while and several ill-fated practice attempts...but I finally got what I considered an acceptable result. Unfortunately, I do not have any videos and very few pictures of the build.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS