Granberg G777 Small Log Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
G777.png

Anyone here used one of these? I have several smallish logs that I have given up getting someone to take to a mill, and have had zero luck getting a bandsaw mill owner to bring his mill here.
I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw, which is borderline on size recommendations, but getting a bigger one is not happening. I would get a Granberg ripping chain if I buy the mill.

I have several White Pines and Cedar logs ready to make boards from, and some Poplars to bring down. I know these mills are labor intensive and am prepared for that. :tongue2:

I'm looking for tips and hints from folks that have used one.
Thanks
Ken

http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/scripts/granbergint/G777.html

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ken I have never used or seen one of these but it looks like it would be the idel thing for a small wood worker to have around - could save him a few bucks in the long run - just be careful with that chainsaw :eusa_pray

steviegwood

New User
Steven

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica]View more McCulloch items[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Lumber Maker[/FONT]
41085.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Make your own lumber at home for just pennies!
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Attach the lumber maker to your chain saw and cut perfect 2 x 4's in your own backyard from any type of wood
  • Cutting width: 1" to 3-1/2"
  • Comes with all hardware for quick and easy assembly
  • Black oxide-coated finish[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 41085-9VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$14.99[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] Here is one very similar from Harbor freight with a big price difference. Steve
[/FONT]

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica]View more McCulloch items[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Lumber Maker[/FONT]
41085.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Make your own lumber at home for just pennies![/FONT]

• [FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Attach the lumber maker to your chain saw and cut perfect 2 x 4's in your own backyard from any type of wood
  • Cutting width: 1" to 3-1/2"
  • Comes with all hardware for quick and easy assembly
  • Black oxide-coated finish[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 41085-9VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$14.99[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] Here is one very similar from Harbor freight with a big price difference. Steve[/FONT]

The bad part about this one is you have to attacth the 2x4 with screws.You can lose some board that way.Got a friend that has one.jm2c

NightOwl

New User
Britt
Steven the lumbermaker you posted is a copy of the mini mill , thats a different mill than the small mill. I think grangbergs model # for the mini mill is G555. And I have never used one of those.

Ken I do have one of the small mills. Also have a 36" mill. I have used both ripping chain and regular chain. If you are going to run the wood through a planer a regular chain will work. If not then a ripping chain will give a smoother surface.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Steven the lumbermaker you posted is a copy of the mini mill , thats a different mill than the small mill. I think grangbergs model # for the mini mill is G555. And I have never used one of those.

Ken I do have one of the small mills. Also have a 36" mill. I have used both ripping chain and regular chain. If you are going to run the wood through a planer a regular chain will work. If not then a ripping chain will give a smoother surface.

Nightowl, welcome to NCWoodworker! When you have a moment, please introduce yourself and post pix of some of your work!

For the "regulars", I know that y'all will be "shocked"... but I also own both. It's easier to maintain a consistent board thickness with the one that Ken posted as opposed to the one that Steven posted, but they both have their uses.

Ken, you're welcome to borrow mine to try out before you make up your mind. It's pretty much "as new".

The regular chain cuts a bit faster than the ripping chain, but the surface is more irregular. Wilson's in Raleigh will also manufacture ripping chain from normal chain, and it works fairly well.

Scott

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ken,

Check out this site

http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/bigmillsystem/bigmill_timberjig.php

I don't know about the Granberg G777 but I have owned a Timberjig until my brother-in-law dropped a log on it. Forced me to upgrade to the Woodworkers Mill. The timberjig worked well with my old Stihl 262, cut several hundred feet of poplar and cedar with it.

Check Logosol's site. There is a list of Logosol owners. You might find one close to you who will saw up your logs.

Rick Doby

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Ken,

Found this guy on the Logosol site. Not sure how close he is to you.

Michael Swinyer
Company: Have Sawmill Will Travel
City: Pickens
State: sc
Phone: 864-878-1818
Project: lumber

Rick Doby

NightOwl

New User
Britt
Also it will help if you put shims in the kerf to keep the top piece from resting on the bar and chain. When I started I didnt and the cuts were a lot rougher.

Scott the computer makes it a small world, we talked the other week about the BIG oak tree on FF. I cut the burl off the bottom and found out the tree is so hollow me and you both could probably get inside of it and play checkers. After seeing that I wont be the one that cuts it down. :nah:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Britt - small world indeed!

Smart move passing on that oak... the only way that I'd approach something like that is with a track hoe... at full extension!

Glad that you got the burl though.

Scott

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks guys.
Well, Northern Tools was sneaky enough to drop a 10% off coupon in my inbox yesterday morning, so I went ahead and picked up the Granberg small mill and a hefty timber jack. I also stopped by HF (well, it was on the way home dang it!) and got their version of the Granberg mini mill edger.
Also, I got one of my Hushy chains reground to 10 degrees for ripping.
This morning I planted 6 100 foot rows of Silver Queen sweet corn, so hopefully this afternoon I can assemble the stuff and start practicing on a couple of White Pines that fell over a few weeks ago.

Thanks Scott for the offer to loan yours, I appreciate it, maybe should have done that first, but patience is not my strong point.

Rick, I contacted the sawyer in Pickens, thanks. But, he has paid for his Logosol many times over and isn't sawing for anyone but himself.
He did tell me a friend has a Logosol for sale due to a divorce. I may run up the road and see it in operation, the price is attractive enough to make it interesting.
Researching Logosols shows it is more practical for taking to the log than a small BS mill.

Anywho, thanks again for all the replies.

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS