Grain Filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I have some red oak that has been air dried and outside for several years. I moved it into my shop about 6 month ago to get it ready to use when I had time. I've gotten it ready to use on a coffee table with some hickory.
The problem I have with the RO is it has a very open grain. What would I use for a grain filler if I use a poly or shellac for the finish?

M

McRabbet

John,

I'd use Behlen's Water-based Grain filler, available from Woodcraft. I've used Pore-O-Pac -- Behlen's solvent-based GF -- on Mahogany. The Natural W-B version dries faster and won't darken the wood.

Rob

J

jeff...

Woodguy once told me of a grain filler, but I forgot the name of it.

Toddler

New User
Todd
according to Bob Flexner, chapter 7, Understanding Wood Finishing, you have a lot of options :)

Finish verus Paste

Finish advantages: fewer application problems, faster to fill small pored wolods such as maple and cherry, can be used to keep the color of the pores very close to the overall color whether or not stained.

Paste advantages: Doesn't shrink as much in the pores so pitting is less likely to reappear after several months, much faster to fill large pored woods such as oak and mahogany (could stop here :) ), can be used to create the appearanceof greater depth in wood by using a color slightly darker than the wood itself, less wasteful.

Oil vs Water based:

Oil based advantages: much easier removal of excess, more control over coloring the pores, bether depth in most cases

Water based advantages: shorter waiting time before applying finish, can be stained after dried, no question if it ready to be coated over, rarely a problem coating over with any finish.

Of course, I bought that z-poxy finishing resin before I bought the book :eusa_doh: :lol:

Great book!!! and if you order on amazon, you can have it at your door for less than $15. Check the new and used list. I got a new copy for under $7 plus 3.50 s&h!

Todd

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Plaster of Parris, spread on lightly, then sanded, then use BLO, the PoP then becomes translucent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS