Gotta start somewhere - my first frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I'm pretty new to woodworking with something besides 2x4s. Decided to start small, so here it is: my first frame. Western red cedar, 5x7. Was supposed to be 8x10, but my ruler malfunctioned while cutting the sides - 8x9 just doesn't work. I need better lighting in the garage too - didn't notice the squeeze-out along one edge until I looked at the pic. Still needs a couple more coats of oil, and then back to Ritz to reprint the pic at 5x7 :).

453681771_sEi4c-M.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Tim!!!!

Nice tight looking miters and really like your profile design.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job Tim:icon_thum You picked a hard first project - frames can sometimes be tricky and it looks like from this one you got it:eusa_clap

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Thanks guys. As far as profile, didn't have a lot of options since my stock of bits is pretty slim (so far :)) - pretty much just have a roundover and a roman ogee for profiles. Desperation really is the mother of invention.

Next (current) project are the built-in bench seats I promised my wife for the bonus room (got to buy new tools as a result). The face frames will be mitered, with edge beading, so I figured I'd practice with a picture frame. Once I'm a bit farther along, I'll post some pics - currently at carcass stage, and I'm finishing the wainscoting up before moving on to trim.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Yep, nice tight fit on the miters, Tim. You did great. I'm too embarrassed to show my first frame:embarrassed:.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thank you - seeing your frame here just gave me an idea for a frame I was working on. I finished the profiles and the inlay, and then cut the pieces off of the larger stock. What looked great 'in my head' was obviously too narrow once I cut it. Now I think I will use this as an outer frame on a flat unadorned inner frame.
Thanks for the idea

Henry

tjgreen

New User
Tim
:embaresse Full disclosure, I should probably have posted pics of the back side as well, the corners are... not so good. Let's just say this frame will be hung on the wall, so nobody can see the back. As always, I blame my tools.

Henry, hope you'll post a picture when you're done, I'm looking for more creative ways to use what I've got. Next frame will be 11x14, so will need to be thicker and wider as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS