Good Source for Wood - Ral/Dur/Gboro area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi all -
I getting ready to build some outdoor furniture - garden benches and chairs (saw some nice plans in the latest Wood magazine). I'm thinking of using either cedar, cypress or white oak. I'd like to keep the cost affordable and will likely need ~150bft. Any suggestions on the choice and a good place to buy in the area listed above? I will need at lesat 6/4 for some pieces - I have access to a planer and jointer.

Thanks for the input!
quid_non

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
quid_non said:
Hi all -
I getting ready to build some outdoor furniture - garden benches and chairs (saw some nice plans in the latest Wood magazine). I'm thinking of using either cedar, cypress or white oak. I'd like to keep the cost affordable and will likely need ~150bft. Any suggestions on the choice and a good place to buy in the area listed above? I will need at lesat 6/4 for some pieces - I have access to a planer and jointer.

Thanks for the input!
quid_non

Cypress is an excellent exterior wood, especially when finished with tung oil for preserving. It is a fairly soft wood with grain much like yellow pine but a lot easier to work. It will turn a silver/grayish color after extended exposure. The cost is moderate compared to white oak or western cedar. I believe McEwen Lumber has a plant in the R/D area---------they do have 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, and 8/4 at the High Point location. I just recently bought 8/4 to build a door--will try to get a pic made and posted to show the cypress finished with tung oil.:)

Jerry

BobN

New User
Bob
quid_non said:
Thanks all -
I did a goolge on McEwen and found the Raleigh Store (see link below). They do carry a nice selection of wood! I called 'em and they only carry 4/4 Cypress (FYI ~6-8'' width is ~$1.80/bft).

Suppose I could glue up and plane down, but it seems like a big waste to make 6/4 stock needed .

I'll continue to look...

http://www.hoodindustries.com/distribution/mcewen/locations/raleigh/

Has anyone on here purchase any hardwood from McEwen Lumber in Raleigh? If so can you tell us about your experience there.

Bob

M

McRabbet

If you are interested in a little road trip, the McEwen Lumber Branch in High Point lists Cypress up to 12/4 thicknesses. The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville has Cypress in 4/4 and 8/4 at $2.90 and $3.95 in 100+ BF quantities (closer than High Point). Wall Lumber has the best price for 8/4 Cypress at $3.50/BF. Be sure to get heartwood Cypress, not the sapwood -- only the heartwood is truly rot resistant (sapwood is lighter in color vs heartwood -- see Kyle's comments in http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/29641-post20.html.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've not purchased from McEwin Lumber in Raleigh, but I drive by their place regularly and they have a big sign saying "Not for retail, Wholesale only, entrance to lot by appointment only" or something to that effect. I don't think that they are very friendly to the weekend wood butcher :-D
Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I always feel a bit...uh...inadequate at lumber yards anyways. There are always people on each side of me slinging 10' oak boards on carts, while I walk around with a little 24" piece of walnut that it took me 30 min to decide on, and a couple of pieces of cherry off the discount shorts palette. :lol:

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
McRabbet said:
If you are interested in a little road trip, the McEwen Lumber Branch in High Point lists Cypress up to 12/4 thicknesses. The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville has Cypress in 4/4 and 8/4 at $2.90 and $3.95 in 100+ BF quantities (closer than High Point). Wall Lumber has the best price for 8/4 Cypress at $3.50/BF. Be sure to get heartwood Cypress, not the sapwood -- only the heartwood is truly rot resistant (sapwood is lighter in color vs heartwood -- see Kyle's comments in http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/29641-post20.html.

Rob

Hi Rob - Thanks for the tips! I went to the link for the Hardwood store and boy did their prices go up! Just about doubled the prices you quote. Got an e-mail request into Wall Lumber. It's a distance, but a nice drive and great place to visit!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
DaveO said:
I've not purchased from McEwin Lumber in Raleigh, but I drive by their place regularly and they have a big sign saying "Not for retail, Wholesale only, entrance to lot by appointment only" or something to that effect. I don't think that they are very friendly to the weekend wood butcher :-D

Dave-----Sorry to hear the scenario at the Raliegh McEwen Lumber Co.8-O
I have been buying from McEwen Lumber in High Point for several years now and have been pleased with the service and products. They seem to welcome the walk-in traffic which include local contractors and one-man shops such as myself.:eusa_clap However, it may be because I am a legitimate business and have the sales tax number etc. I usually buy 200 to 400 BD. FT. each trip. I do not think they will sell a 3' piece of lumber though. As far as I know they do not have a minimum purchase other than taking the full length board of any given specie.

When I bought lumber for the tablemaking class, they set the unit out for me to pick for widths and clarity I needed for the class. It is the only place I found that would do that for me. It is close to a 100 mile round trip for me but it has been worth it to me.

Maybe it is a case of plant manager decisions.:eusa_thin

Jerry

M

McRabbet

quid_non said:
Hi Rob - Thanks for the tips! I went to the link for the Hardwood store and boy did their prices go up! Just about doubled the prices you quote. Got an e-mail request into Wall Lumber. It's a distance, but a nice drive and great place to visit!

Wall is always a good bet -- but to set the record straight, I got the prices for the Hardwood Store from their website just before my post -- you apparently did not see where I said they were 100+ Board Feet prices, because their small quantity prices are higher.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
walnutjerry said:
Dave-----Sorry to hear the scenario at the Raliegh McEwen Lumber Co.8-O
Jerry

I've never gone in to put their sales policy to the test. the sign just caught my eye. I called them once looking for some W.Red Cedar, about $1500 worth, they didn't carry it, but they were helpful on the phone. So maybe the sign is just a scare tactic for people who just want to look around. Maybe on day I'll need several hundred BF of lumber and I can really put them to the test.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Lots of wood places post a price on the internet to draw business and when you go there its a bait and switch as that is no longer available. I am not saying they did this at all just that I know thats a sales tactic some places use. My tactic is simple. Offer a price you want/need to sell it at and keep it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS