Good miter saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Dewalt has an add on light option that lights up both sides of the blade, showing the exact location of the blade. Works with any blade width. Far superior to any laser IMO.
Very easy to install. Remove a piece of plastic on top of the handle and replace with light unit. Looks like it came on the saw. Very first class design.
I am surprised that other manufacturers haven't done the same. (May be patented)?

The Ridgid saws also have that shadow line LED feature, as well as 70 degree miter capability. I will probably make the 60 mile trip to the Knightdale Home Depot next week to look at those saws. Pretty much have narrowed it down to the DeWalt DW717 (has the light) or the Ridgid R4210. Wish i could find a DW717 to lay hands/eyes on, but seems they are all on-line only at both Home Depot and Lowes. About $100 difference in price, but both within my price range. If I was 10 years younger, I would be raising my price limit, and would probably be looking at a 12", but at 71, don't foresee a heavy workload on whatever I buy nor the need for the 12" capacity.

Go

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Go,
I have the DW717 with the light. Come over and give it a test run. You have been to my shop before, near Lake Wheeler. There are (3) Home Depots and (2) Lowes within 5-6 miles from me.
Let me know if you would like to come over. Most any day/time works for me.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Personally I'm not a fan of laser or shadow lights on a miter saw. While it's a little slower I'd rather just drop the (not running) blade to the cut line to be sure it's exactly where I want it to cut. Slower? Maybe. For construction a laser is probably close enough, but for furniture or picture frames not so much. The lasers tend to be too bright for the marked cut line too. And of course I use stops for repetitive cuts. Just my preferences of course, YMMV.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Go,
I have the DW717 with the light. Come over and give it a test run. You have been to my shop before, near Lake Wheeler. There are (3) Home Depots and (2) Lowes within 5-6 miles from me.
Let me know if you would like to come over. Most any day/time works for me.

Like Charlie, I have the DeWalt with light. I have had it for several years and I have been 100% satisfied. The light is simple, but very effective...based on the light's design, I am not sure if it can ever go out of calibration.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Well, DeWalt threw me a curve (a good one?) by doing some major price reductions on their 12" sliders after Christmas, so bought a DWS780 with my Lowes discount. I will start a new thread with my review. I know, I know: I stated I didn't need the capacity, but never said I didn't really want it! LOL

Thanks to everyone for their advice and offers for help. Great bunch of people here, for sure.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors