Good Deal or Bad Deal - Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeach

New User
Mike
I have found this drill press from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43378

In new condition, just missing the switch and the table. The guy is going to include this for free

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96395&Submit=Go

and the total is $75. The parts i would need from HF are going to run me $10.32 plus 5.95 shipping and handeling... for a total of 91.27 for it all.

Good deal or bad deal?

Is this a good/decent machine??

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Mike

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Are you sure that is for all the parts you need? That extension table looks like it mounts on the existing table, which I would expect to cost substantially more than $10 if that is supposed to include the crank assembly and everything. I prefer HF new over the counter with their full replacement warranty. I would want a serious discount on used HF gear, which it appears you may be getting, but I would double check about the parts you need.

mbeach

New User
Mike
Are you sure that is for all the parts you need? That extension table looks like it mounts on the existing table, which I would expect to cost substantially more than $10 if that is supposed to include the crank assembly and everything. I prefer HF new over the counter with their full replacement warranty. I would want a serious discount on used HF gear, which it appears you may be getting, but I would double check about the parts you need.

The extension table is free... The cost for the existing table is $6.09. The crank assembly and everything else is on there... just the existing table was broken.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Im with Andy, is HF the supplier of the replacement table?

I was under the impression you couldnt get replacement parts for alot of their machines?

Curious to know!

BTW, if you wait till New Years Day, you can get discounted 25% with coupon. They may even be on sale as well, which gets you pretty close to your used price.

If so, I would go with new and make your own Extension table (not hard to make).

M

mbeach

New User
Mike
Im with Andy, is HF the supplier of the replacement table?

I was under the impression you couldnt get replacement parts for alot of their machines?

Curious to know!

BTW, if you wait till New Years Day, you can get discounted 25% with coupon. They may even be on sale as well, which gets you pretty close to your used price.

If so, I would go with new and make your own Extension table (not hard to make).

M

The replacement table is from HF. Their customer service supplies the parts.

Thanks for the info on the 25% coupon. I am going to see if it is on sale in their ad.

Mike

**** Is this a good drill press?? or is it one of those HF items that are junk??? anyone know? anyone have this one? THanks

mbeach

New User
Mike
M

I Checked their ad. This one is not for sale. So it would be around $142 pretax, after 25% off.

So... im looking at about a $50.00 savings and have an extension table also....

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
If it were me, I'd be looking for a steeper discount on used (and broken) HF tools. Granted it's a decent price upfront, but chances are that you will want to upgrade at some point, and you'll have a hard time getting much for it.

Have you looked at the tool? I would think it'd be difficult at best to check for runout/bit wobble with a broken or missing table. Why is the table missing? Personally I don't think I'd spend my money on low-end broken tools. I'd rather save a little... Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'd keep my eye on CL for "better" used tools especially right after all of the Christmas upgrades.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The deal is OK but not great. I would pass this one by. Why you ask. Since you know that the unit needs some replacement parts you don't know why nor do you know if there are other damaged parts yet to be found.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
If it were me, I'd be looking for a steeper discount on used (and broken) HF tools. Granted it's a decent price upfront, but chances are that you will want to upgrade at some point, and you'll have a hard time getting much for it.

Have you looked at the tool? I would think it'd be difficult at best to check for runout/bit wobble with a broken or missing table. Why is the table missing? Personally I don't think I'd spend my money on low-end broken tools. I'd rather save a little... Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'd keep my eye on CL for "better" used tools especially right after all of the Christmas upgrades.

+ 1 on everything Matt said. :thumbs_up

FlyingRon

Ron
Ick...we had one of these HF drill presses in our office for a while. What a disaster. Never could get the table to lock into place.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
My recommendation

Stay away from the HF tools, you will never be happy. Only get them if you are going to use them once, or do not intend to keep them for a long period of time. Otherwise, don't waste your money and time. Save a while longer, get tools that will last, and ones that will be more satisfying to work with. This advice is from experience.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike, speaking personally I wouldn't touch it. HF tools are not that great to begin with, and the odds are that there are some more hidden problems that will end up costing you $ and heartache.

Keep watching craigslist - a deal on a better drill press will show up.

Scott

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
It's to close to the price you can get a new one for.I would save up for a better one.You may save 50.00 min the short run,but end up with a big boat anchor.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A point of clarification...

When I said
I prefer HF new over the counter with their full replacement warranty.
I meant if I am going to buy an HF tool, not that I prefer HF in general. While my feelings are not as strong, I don't think it is a great deal and others make a good point about what might have happened to it to break the table.

Rob

New User
Rob
I have a Harbor Freight Drill press, bought 6 or so years ago. I've had to replace the switch, the chuck would not stay attached to the taper. Spot welded it on, it works, but it's not accurate, never was, drilling pen blanks, the longer the blank, the more inaccurate it is. That being said, I primarily bought this for metal working and have beat it to death drilling steel. It's not, IMHO, accurate enough for wood working. That money would be better spent getting a better quality drill press.

Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS