Gonna be expanding my workshop (Update With Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I will be expanding my shop by 192 square foot in the next couple days or so. It seems that there is a building on my late Mother's property that will be delivered to my house this week. It is a prefab 12x16 low side barn style building that the family has decided I should get. This will give me a lot of needed wood storage space and a possible finishing area. My goal is to adjoin this building to my current 10x20 shop. Will relieve a lot of the current cramped space. Also will provide a place for my lawn equipment that currently resides in my workshop. It will be a challenge to tie it into the current workshop but I think there are a few friends I have met here that will be willing to assist me in this. I am excited to gain the space even if it is a prefab building. Pictures will be posted as this expansion proceeds.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: Gonna be expanding my workshop

That's awesome! More than doubling your shop space is going to be great!

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Been to your shop ....:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

Skymaster

New User
Jack

Tracy: Congrats and it sounds "interesting" :gar-Bi Any help I can be you got it. Pics wood help alot, are you going to try to go gable to gable or tie it in at 90 degrees? Most important thing to check as soon as you can are the plate heights, they are going to run the train.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

congratulations!:icon_thum more space is always a good thing. Of coarse if you realy need more space you could send me the Kapex. I hear they take up a lot of room...:rotflm:

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member

Tracy,
If you need some help let me know.I'll keep the chainsaw gassed up.It's great for creating doorways.Seriously,if I can be of assistance give me a call.
Greg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Congrats on the addition Tracy! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I know the circumstances aren't the best, but I'm happy that you'll have some more space. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Tracy, I am only an hour away, and I have some (free 4 you) PT lumber (1x6, one or two 2x4, one or two 2x10) from my former deck, if you can make use of any of it. Drop me a PM.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Tracy, the thought occured to me.... what if you don't tie the two together? If you select all of your "long term storage" items - such as wood, chemicals, etc., along with the gardening equipment to store in there, would it make sense to keep them separate buildings?

A friend of mine in Texas has his wood shop spread across several small dedicated buildings, each around 200 sq. ft. As I recall one is the main woodshop (largest of the buildings), and the others are a finishing building, a stripping building, and a storage building.

Just a thought that may save you some labor time...

Scott

bwat

New User
Bill

I know you'll enjoy the options afforded by more space. Maybe even find a dedicated space for that Kapex!:icon_thum

Ditto on the assistance. Maybe plan a Saturday Shopalooza shop raising!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I have to agree with Scott Smith. If you are going to use the space for finishing, a separate building will be easier to manage dust. Good luck.

TracyP

Tracy

Lots of wonderful ideas here. Thanks everyone for the replies. The new addition will be delivered tomorrow. The dilemma I want to overcome is making a barn style building look like the standard gable building. I will post pictures tomorrow night. I really like the Scott and Scott idea of keeping the new addition separate. I just don't want the new addition to look out of place with this one.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/DSCN2227.JPG

This is the ONLY drawback to this virtually free addition. So let the Ideas commence. I will be placing the building a few feet from the one pictured and to the right side.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Well a coat of paint will help for sure. So your concern is you will have two different roof lines/styles. My simpliest suggestion is to keep them as far a part as possible. Then no one will care. If that is not possible and you really want to match them up then you will need to modify the roof line on one or both. Just a second thought. Can you put the new one behind the old one?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

you may find that the dimensions of the new building are better for the shop and the shop may be more suited to finishing and lumber storage. either way the kapex wont fit:widea:...... call me!:rotflm:

TracyP

Tracy

you may find that the dimensions of the new building are better for the shop and the shop may be more suited to finishing and lumber storage. either way the kapex wont fit:widea:...... call me!:rotflm:
A Kapex won't fit in 192 square foot of space:tongue2:. Guess I gotta give the Kapex up:nah::nah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS