Go Big

Diane Dickens

New User
Diane
Greetings, I haven't posted lately, I'm sure hoping everyone is doing well. Don't forget me here in Union Grove NC when you need some bandsaw blades. I mainly deal with the little siblings but thought you might get a charge out of seeing these big boys. We rolled these guys out of the big band shop and on down the road not long ago. "If You Can't Go Big, Stay Home."

Ya'll stay safe.
truckload-bandsaw-blades.jpg

llucas

luke
Senior User
Yep! Pretty impressive! I'd love to see these in action...whatever that may be!
Just building the crates for transport is a sizeable job.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow! Would love to see the saw that requires that blade.

Definitely stand back when one of those uncoils.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whoa! One of those would crush both of my little ones. :)

Please give us some more info on what those go on and what is the machine capabilities.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Saw some of those when I toured the GP mill a few years back. The maintenance shop was responsible for their care and feeding to keep the mill running. Impressive stuff.

The movie shows a one blade machine. Visualize a multi-blade machine and you'll "see" what I saw. Puns are extra.

Last edited:

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Hank, I watched the video, twice, and I still dot not believe it. I can not imagine what it takes to keep all of that working smoothly. What kind of dust collection system do they have. lol

Am I the only one surprised the company is operating as an LLC?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Saw some of those when I toured the GP mill a few years back. The maintenance shop was responsible for their care and feeding to keep the mill running. Impressive stuff.

The movie shows a one blade machine. think about a multi-blade machine and you'll "see" what I saw. Puns are extra.
I was looking for a gang saw like Georgia Pacific's (I have visited in the past and too thought it was impressive) but I thought this would get the point across...
A friend of the family was in blade maintenance at GP in Georgia and we visited when I was in short pants and was suitably impressed. I still remember how wide those blades were and how the saws were so tall.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I watched the video, twice, and I still dot not believe it. I can not imagine what it takes to keep all of that working smoothly. What kind of dust collection system do they have. lol

Am I the only one surprised the company is operating as an LLC?
This is the dust collection system:
1644506113545.png

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is the dust collection system:
View attachment 208347
Seriously there is some pretty good collection (Torit etc.) VERY large cyclones, but in the log prep areas, there is a LOT of chips and sawdust... remember this is VERY wet wood, so you don't have the volume of dust we have in our shops - this is a wet, mucky, water and wood mixture...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
YouTube has a video somewhere of one of those with both edges of the blade sharpened so the saw cuts on the return pass as well. Company had a husband & wife team that did nothing but sharpen blades for it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
YouTube has a video somewhere of one of those with both edges of the blade sharpened so the saw cuts on the return pass as well. Company had a husband & wife team that did nothing but sharpen blades for it.
My dad used to call those "shot gun" mills. At one in Smithfield, sawyer rode the carriage back and forth.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS