Glass for Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Where in the Triangle can I find a piece of glass for a desktop? The edges certainly have to be polished. I wonder if desk glass is tempered.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am not aware of any requirement for safety glass on a desk, but common sense says yes the glass should be tempered or laminated.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Tempered glass will have a very slight irregularity to the surface, not ideal for mirrors. But for any large glass object, you absolutely want tempered so it is a little stronger AND it breaks into a million little un-sharp pebbles. Un-tempered glass fragments can be very large and very sharp, basically deadly.

ednl

ed
Senior User
I have a piece of tempered glass with polished edges which I used as a desktop for 21 years. It is 3/8 X 30 X 60. You're welcome to take a look at it. If you like it I'm sure we can negotiate a transfer. If interested, send me a PM.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a piece of tempered glass with polished edges which I used as a desktop for 21 years. It is 3/8 X 30 X 60. You're welcome to take a look at it. If you like it I'm sure we can negotiate a transfer. If interested, send me a PM.
Darn! It's about 3" too long on length and width. Thanks for the offer, though!

Bumpy

New User
Frank
Contact EZ Glass in Garner. They supply all my glass for my cabinet shop. I suggest 1/4 plate. There are two options for the edge, Polished is expensive and cost by the inch. To have the edge "eased" is done with a sander and looks fine. Huge price difference.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Any glass shop can easily trim off that 3" for a nominal fee. Probably still cheaper than buying a new tempered sheet (27" x 57").

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to make a new desk to fit that glass top.

Roy G

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a number of sheets of glass from tabletops. What are the precise dimensions of what you rare looking for. Reach out via PM to discuss.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
they cut it - then temper it...

Interesting. Are most mom and pop glass shops equipped with the ovens for tempering or simply stock a selection of glass panels tempered by the manufacturers?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Interesting. Are most mom and pop glass shops equipped with the ovens for tempering or simply stock a selection of glass panels tempered by the manufacturers?
I talked with EZ Glass yesterday. They order the glass cut to size and have it tempered by their vendor, who has a large oven to temper it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I did some reading about the various types of glasses and how they're made to different specs: tempered, laminated, plane old glass.

http://www.dedicatedglass.com/types-of-glass-in-replacement/

Tempered glass is way overkill for this application and laminated glass is not necessary either

Plane old glass (3/16" or 1/4") is plenty sufficient and safe layed on top of a solid wood desktop. Spacers are used to keep the glass from sticking to the wood finish and allow air circulation.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepher...for-Glass-Surfaces-10-per-Pack-9966/100191399

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
The OP has not stated whether or not the glass will be placed on top of a wooden top or used as the actual desktop. If this is to be used in a home environment, I would be worried with small children around any type of glass being used like the OP stated. You can never be too safe when children are playing around or on such a surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS