Gift for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I made this for a friend who makes a living selling original art based on NASCAR. He is also a huge music/guitar fan. I thought that since he is an artist, I would create a sketch pencil for him. I tried to create a theme for this. I used the checkered flag from NASCAR and a loose translation of Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar design.

SDBPENCIL.jpg

The pencil is created from bloodwood, holly and ebony with a CA finish. It is intimidating making something for an artist :) Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Chris

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
... It is intimidating making something for an artist :)...

When an artist is making it, I don't see why you'd be intimidated!!

Amazing work Chris. Thanks for sharing, it's been a while since we have seen segmentation like that!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Man, that's awesome! Great job! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Chris your work continues to amaze me. Great work. One of these days I need to absorb some of your skill.. :)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Where'd you get that cool sig line?

...my Dad does some woodworking. One year for Christmas/Birthday/or something, I came across a hand painted sign on some old pine or driftwood or something that said that. I thought it was clever and bought it for him. He has it hanging in his shop and I've always liked it :)

Thanks for all the compliments, y'all. Pens sure do make nice gifts and I never realized how many gifts we need to give until I started making pens...
:rotflm:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's really weird, when i had my shop back in Alabama in the 70s and 80s I painted a sign that said exactly the same thing. It was hanging in my shop until we moved to Georgia in 1986. Don't know what happened to it after that.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Chris your work continues to amaze me. Great work. One of these days I need to absorb some of your skill.. :)

Whatever! ...looking at your gallery, you have some very nice projects there!!! The segmented 'swirl' is flawless and the amboyna pen is very sharp (amboyna is always a winner!) :) You do great work!

Chris

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
That's really weird, when i had my shop back in Alabama in the 70s and 80s I painted a sign that said exactly the same thing. It was hanging in my shop until we moved to Georgia in 1986. Don't know what happened to it after that.

Odd!...but kind of cool in the same sense! I swear I'm innocent, but I can't be sure about the person whom I bought it from :) Funny! One of our resident scrollers should make a sign...would probably sell well on this board alone :)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Now that's really cool! Any idea how long it took to glue up that blank? How did you figure the size of the squares to get the checker flag design?

J

jeff...

I made this for a friend who makes a living selling original art based on NASCAR. He is also a huge music/guitar fan. I thought that since he is an artist, I would create a sketch pencil for him. I tried to create a theme for this. I used the checkered flag from NASCAR and a loose translation of Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar design.

SDBPENCIL.jpg

The pencil is created from bloodwood, holly and ebony with a CA finish. It is intimidating making something for an artist :) Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for making that for me Chris - I'm not much into NASCAR - but older Van Halen is ok

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Now that's really cool! Any idea how long it took to glue up that blank? How did you figure the size of the squares to get the checker flag design?

Not sure how long it took me...it wasn't too bad. For the checker board, I took slightly wider than the diameter of the pen and divided it in half. The most difficult part was cutting it to make the segments and getting it to fit back together with all of the other segments lining up.

Jeff...don't you have enough pens/pencils?? ;-) I think you've gotten a few from us :) I still get big compliments on my secret sauce pen, btw! I've had a few orders...had to tell them that it's basically a one of a kind blank! That was some nice wood!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS