Gift box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, just like a late gift card I am late to responding to this thread. I love your box. It is very attractive.

Here is an idea for you. Long ago and far away I used to make gift boxes particularly little ones for a single ring, using a similar technique as the one you used here but instead of a sliding lid I used a lift off lid. On the top was a bow that was made out of the same wood as the ribbon that wrapped the box. The bow was made by thinly slicing sections of the laminate, in your case the bloodwood and Peruvian walnut, into 1/8" thicknesses. I had to plane these thin strips on a carrying board through my portable planer. Once I had them smooth and sanded on both sides I cut them into lengths that suited the bow I wanted to make and just stacked them up in the center of the lid where the ribbons intersected. Some pieces of stack aligned with the ribbon on the box and others were diagonal to the ribbon and each stack became progressively shorter until the top piece was square. I also rounded the corners with some hand sanding to soften the edges and increase the visual effect of a ribbon. I know this may be hard to visualize and I don't even have a picture to show you as I made these before I even had a digital camera.

I quit making them because they were so labor intensive and did not justify a price that warranted making them unless you made a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS