Gift box

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Today's woodworking efforts. Curly Birch, Bloodwood and Peruvian Walnut. Cut in a modified bandsaw box style, I used a jig saw to remove the interior after drilling out the corners because I didn't want to change bandsaw blades :oops::oops: I guess it is still a WIP, as my wife said, and these photos show that I still have a little sanding to do. Currently it has just a little BLO on it. It will get some spray lacquer over the next few days.

Gift_box_009.jpg

Gift_box_004.jpg

Gift_box_008.jpg

It was a fun little project, and my daughter is looking forward to her "present"...she claimed it before I even finished cutting it all out :-D
Thanks for looking,
Dave:)

J

jeff...

I think Dave has shop elves

I really like that box Dave :icon_thum

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I love the woods that you chose. They give it that "wow" factor. :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
David, it's pretty easy. Just glue up several pieces of wood to form a large block in what ever design you desire. Cut the top and bottom off on the BS around 3/8" thick. Cut out the center of the box by either drilling out the corners and using a jig-saw or cutting in from the side and remove the center with a BS (traditional BS box style). Then I glue the bottom back on and make the angle cuts in the top section for the sliding dovetail . I chose 15° for the angle and ripped them on the BS. Then I take some magic blue tape and tape the pieces of the top back together, center the top and glue it back in place making sure not to get any glue on the sliding section. The top will be smaller than the rest of the box due to the kerf loss. Once the glue has dried I rip off the sides of the box to make it the same size as the top. Round the corners on the BS, and give everything a good round-over on the RT. Then sand and finish as desired. Should only take a few hours. The gluing time is the longest aspect.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
David, it's pretty easy. Just glue up several pieces of wood to form a large block in what ever design you desire. Cut the top and bottom off on the BS around 3/8" thick. Cut out the center of the box by either drilling out the corners and using a jig-saw or cutting in from the side and remove the center with a BS (traditional BS box style). Then I glue the bottom back on and make the angle cuts in the top section for the sliding dovetail . I chose 15° for the angle and ripped them on the BS. Then I take some magic blue tape and tape the pieces of the top back together, center the top and glue it back in place making sure not to get any glue on the sliding section. The top will be smaller than the rest of the box due to the kerf loss. Once the glue has dried I rip off the sides of the box to make it the same size as the top. Round the corners on the BS, and give everything a good round-over on the RT. Then sand and finish as desired. Should only take a few hours. The gluing time is the longest aspect.

just couldnt resist the blue tape huh? :icon_thum great stuff . your daughter will love it.

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The blue tape makes all the difference. One day I'll grow up and be allowed to use the chartreuse tape like David Marks :lol:

Dave (confessed blue tape junkie):-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS