Gel Stain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

New User
George
Building a solid cherry piece. Want a dark cherry look. Saw Norm finish a piece, first stained a light brown, followed by shellac, then a gel stain and poly finish. Is the brown stain necessary, if so, whats the reason? Should I have a finish like shellac under the gel? Have no experience with gel. Any help would be appreciated. ( I prefer a natural finish, but person getting piece wants a dark finish) Thanks
George

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The brown stain adds a base color. Cherry has a tendency to stain blotchy, so the base may not be uniform. The shellac adds a barrier coat between the base color and the gel stain and also helps even out absorption. The gel stain is almost like a glaze, and is easier to control seeing as it isn't absorbed so quickly. You can use it to even out any blotching that may have occurred with the initial brown stain base color. Plus the gel stain adds another depth to the color.
I prefer natural wood finish myself also, but if that is what the client wants, that is what they should get, and that schedule is a good way to get a nice uniform dark stain on woods prone to blotching.
My $.02,
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
DaveO is right on. Personally I wouldn't stain cherry. If you want a darker aged cherry sit the peice out in the sun for a couple days and it will quickly warm to a very nice deep brown. You can use the dye that Norm used to even the tone if you have a lot of color varation and still sit it out. Think about forgetting the stain and use the sun. You won't be dissappointed.

Why bother using cherry if you are going to stain it dark???:eusa_thin

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS