Garden Bench Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
We inherited a pair of inexpensive, imported "park bench" garden benches when we moved in; they had been given a fast coat of white paint, which was deteriorating, and two of the slats on this one broke when Grandma Jo sat down, and she's not a heavyweight!

Park_Bench_before-dscf0816.jpg

With a baby shower upcoming, a decision on fix-up had to be made. The oak slats on both benches were in various states of decay; I didn't even realize they were oak until I picked up one that was heavier than the rest, and cut into it. The benches were rickety, and the bolts were rusted and bent; there was a fine green growth on the underside of the slats, and the only sensible option was to make new ones.

Here is the result:

Park_Bench_after-dscf0819.jpg

I went to Lowes and bought the least expensive wood, knotty pine sold under the heading "white wood" (pine is fine!). Finish is clear semi-gloss Spar Urethane, and Rust-Oleum black spray enamel. My local contractor's supply was the source for 1/4-inch carriage bolts, nuts and washers. The finish and bolts, of course, were the major side of the overall cost.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Awesome Job! That bench looks brand new. What was the final cost? You can't buy a bench that well put together these days :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice :eusa_clap:eusa_clap The natural wood and black metal supports is a classic look, much better than the overall white of previous. Nice restoration, you'll feel proud everytime you sit on them.
Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Good looking restore. I like the natural wood much better than the white paint.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks nice and sturdy now!!

Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking when they have a paint brush and a bucket of paint in their hands!!:swoon:

Your restoration looks top notch!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Nice place to relax, chat and refresh with some good 'ol cold ice tea too!

Wayne

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Awesome Job! That bench looks brand new. What was the final cost? You can't buy a bench that well put together these days :icon_thum

About $50 to $60 all told, for two benches. One quart of spar urethane ran about $17 at the local contractor's supply, and my son-in-law bought the black enamel under the total; I have between about 1/3 to 1/2 a can of urethane left for other projects.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice job Johnpipe!
I decided to give my bench a face lift too. When my neighbor moved, they put it on the curb and well, you know an old dumpster diver couldn't pass that up. I finally got in gear with tuning it up when I saw Douglas R's bench a while back.

Bench2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS