• Other

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm looking at Lowe's, Home Depot and Overhead Door. Can't seem to find a clear winner except Overhead Door (in New Bern anyway) is 20% higher. I need 130MPH door and I want wood look.

I know some of you must have recent experience on this so: Tell the nice man just what you think!
About garage doors, that is...

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Joe.

We had both garage doors replaced about 3 years ago and decided to go with Wayne Dalton doors. They have been great and the install only took about 2.5 hours for the doors and one opener. They say that whatever they sell has to be hurricane rated.....whatever that means!:dontknow:

They were a little pricier than the big box stores, but they definitely stand behind their product.

I looked them up (dealers) and it looks like the closest I could find to New Burn was in JAcksonville, NC.

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/partners/public/SearchDealerLocations

You could have a look at Wayne Dalton home page to see some of the various styles that they offer.

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/index.html

Wayne

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Joe, when I built my shop, for the inventory and mechanical rooms I was interested in buying extremely durable and well insulated doors at a reasonable price.

I ended up with Haas doors, provided and installed by Nim Bran at Garage Doors Unlimited. Nim's number is 919-669-6544.

Mine are the carriage house style, R16 insulation, and well insulated in-between the panels.

I highly recommend both Nim and Haas.

Scott

http://www.haasdoor.com/

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff & Scott, your guys don't seem to have a presence around New Bern.

Whoops! The profile below your picture suggests that you live(d) in Holly Springs. On highway 55 between Raleigh and Fuquay-Varina.

If you're now in New Bern...that's a really nice place too. Plenty of fresh seafood, but I don't know about garage doors down there. :icon_scra

Maybe other members in your area can give you some leads. Good luck.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jeff, my main house is still in Holly Springs. I just recently bought the one in New Bern and it needs a little work, starting with the garage doors.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I had a Clopay door in FL (from a garage door installer, not from HD). Made it through 7 hurricanes.

IIRC, with the metal doors, the number of 3" cross braces is the determining factor for wind rating.

Mine in Fl had 4. The Carolina Overhead door I have on my garage here has eight, and seems to be as good a quality otherwise. The one here has yet to be fully tested, as so far the only high winds have been some 80 mph+ gusts from thunderstorms.

I don't think you would go wrong with either. Having a good professional install it to make sure the tracks are well anchored and the spring tension is correct to balance the door would be in my consideration. If tensioned correctly, the door will stay still when the bottom is about 3 foot off the ground. Also, the torsion springs can mess you up pretty badly if you don't know what you are doing when adjusting them.

Go

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I had a Clopay door in FL (from a garage door installer, not from HD). Made it through 7 hurricanes.

IIRC, with the metal doors, the number of 3" cross braces is the determining factor for wind rating.

Mine in Fl had 4. The Carolina Overhead door I have on my garage here has eight, and seems to be as good a quality otherwise. The one here has yet to be fully tested, as so far the only high winds have been some 80 mph+ gusts from thunderstorms.

I don't think you would go wrong with either. Having a good professional install it to make sure the tracks are well anchored and the spring tension is correct to balance the door would be in my consideration. If tensioned correctly, the door will stay still when the bottom is about 3 foot off the ground. Also, the torsion springs can mess you up pretty badly if you don't know what you are doing when adjusting them.

Go

+1 on torsion springs. They can can serious or fatal human damage. Better left to the folks who know how to adjust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors