Gap for split top worth it?

fjdog

New User
Roland
I am in the middle of a "mini hybrid roubo" style workbench build. In my self-created plans, I have a faux-split top where there is basically a cutout for a removable section. I drew this into the plan because it seemed cool. But now that I am in the middle of the build, I am questioning how useful it would be. In my typical (chaotic) workflow, I question whether I would use it for holding saws/chisels, but maybe I should. I was also thinking it might be nice to clamp stuff from the middle of the bench, but when am I ever going to do that?

So my question to anyone who made a split-top design roubo is do you ever use the split section? or would you have preferred a completely solid worksurface? Below is my sketchup rendering. The whole top would be glued as one solid (unlike a true split-top), but I was going to capture the essence with the cutout in the middle with a drop-in piece.

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.05.50 PM.png

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine is a split top and I use the gap for tool storage. Organizes common tools and keeps them at arms reach. I find it very useful. The gap is 1/2" wide in my case.

1674512790939.png

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Mine is also a split top & I use it to allow an insert that lets me plane toward center of the bench which comes in handy fairly often.

fjdog

New User
Roland
Looks like the recommendation is split (wink wink). I'll have to do some more thinking on this. I've got a little time to consider as my vise hardware has not yet arrived. Thanks and I love that photo of the tool storage solution. It is tempting!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS