Gage Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Does anyone know any thing about Gage Planes. I have convinced my wife that collecting old tools is a good investment :eusa_danc .This weekend I was at a flea market and found a Gage 4C to add to my collection....er investment. Except that it was made by Stanley, I can't seem to find out much about them. It is in good shape except for a cracked handle. after a clean up and sharpening the strange looking thing actually works. The only markings on the body are "patent applied for" and "No. 4". For $25 I couldn't pass it up. Any info would be appreciated.

Monty

New User
Monty
The Gage tool company, with its patented blade adjustment mechanism, was sold to Stanley R&L Co in 1919. Apparenty, the Stanley-Gage wood bottom planes were offered through 1934, and the iron planes were offered through 1941. Take a close look at the blade clamping mechanism - I think you should see Stanley there. When you say 4C do you mean it had a corrugated sole? From what I have read, the Stanley-Gage plane numbers all were preceded by the letter G, i.e. "G4". Neat find! I can't comment on how common it is or its value. Please post some detail pics!

Monty

New User
Monty
By the way, I was curious about the market value of a plane like this... if yours is in Fine condition, I'd say ya done good!!! Take a look at this ebay auction: link

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Insomniac, thanks for the reply. Yes the sole is corragated but the marking on the body only says No.4. I couldn't call it in fine condition, but certainly good to very good. I still haven't figured out how to get pics from my camera to the web site because I,m a computer Klutz.

brent innc

New User
Brent
P_atrick Leach can probably give you a "ballpark" type of value for it. He has a web site also that may help....Stanley's Blood and Gore, I think is the name of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors