Fun with scraps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've been meaning to upgrade my drill press table for a while. So with a rainy day, a little spare time, and some scraps from other projects. I cobbled together a new drill press table, fence and light system.
The table is some scrap 3/4" BB ply with a hardboard surface, and Padauk edging.

Drill_press_table--Silly_ava_004.jpg

I found the spot where the bit would contact the table and created a replaceable insert the was off center to it, so I could rotate it and get more wear time out of it. I also made about 8 more inserts so I'll be set for a while.

Drill_press_table--Silly_ava_006.jpg

The fence is scrap QS White Oak with Persimmon supports and is just held in place by some el-cheapo C-clamps. I notched the fence base to keep the clamps in place. And cut out the front of it to allow full travel of the DP quill during close to the fence drilling situations.

Drill_press_table--Silly_ava_005.jpg

Finally I made a light holder for a garage sale find desk light out of a scrap Ipe deck board. It holds the light tight to the center post, and I can position the light just about anywhere to help see what I am doing.

Drill_press_table--Silly_ava_007.jpg

Thanks for looking, questions, critiques, suggestions and comments always welcome....if they're nice:-D

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see clever ideas here all the time! The key chuck on the retractable key chain holder was a great one too. Brought home some sink cutouts that are laminate on 3/4 PW. I think I'll try your top idea. Thanks!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Only thing I can see wrong with it is that I don't have one. Oh by the way, I'll take one of those light mounts and key holders while you're at it!:-D:-D

Go

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
I see clever ideas here all the time! The key chuck on the retractable key chain holder was a great one too. Brought home some sink cutouts that are laminate on 3/4 PW. I think I'll try your top idea. Thanks!

Retractable key chain for chuck key works great. And sink cutouts make some fantastic jigs, wish I had some more of them.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's a great looking drill press table! I've been thinking about making one, and every time I get distracted by designs that are _way_ too complicated, with gizmo's like T-tracks. Yours has exactly what I need - an adjustable fence and a place to clamp workpieces to. Love the Padauk edging, those are mighty tight miters!

How did you attach your table to the original DP table?

BTW, for those that never get lucky at garage sales, Harbor Freight sells a magnetic light that works really well for drill presses and band saws. On sale for $8 it's not bad, I got one a couple of months ago for $4 with a coupon.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I see a lot of Grizzly green in there. Are you happy with all of it or would you choose others now?

I haven't had much other machinery than Griz. (it fits my budget well :roll:), but I have been happy with every one of my purchases. I haven't had any major issues with any of my machine or had to do a lot of tweaking to get the them to perform the way they should. Are they the best...no, are my abilities the best...far from no. We're a good fit:-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How did you attach your table to the original DP table?

BTW, for those that never get lucky at garage sales, Harbor Freight sells a magnetic light that works really well for drill presses and band saws. On sale for $8 it's not bad, I got one a couple of months ago for $4 with a coupon.

I just made a frame that press fits around the stock table and is held down with a couple of screws driven at the bottom of the metal table. It holds firmly, doesn't twist or pop up if there is too much weight overhanging the edges. But I can remove it in seconds to make a new one.

Your light idea is a great one. You can see the switchable magnetic base HF one here on my HF lathe -
Diener_on_the_lathe_002.jpg

Illuminating Steve Diener's sanding efforts.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The key chuck on the retractable key chain holder was a great one too.

I thought it was original, but alas it's been around for a long while. Still a great idea though. I haven't misplaced my chuck key yet :-D

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Another option to the off-center insert- I replaced the headstock locking screws with knob/screws. I just loosen the two knobs and the whole headstock rotates on the column. Of course that meant I had to attach the laser crosshair gizmo to the headstock instead of the column- which I did.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
The replaceable insert is very handy. I have several including one with a large hole for use with sanding drums. Since I didn't have a free retractable key holder, I use one of those rare earth magnets stuck to the top of the drill press to retain my chuck key. Works well!

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Lookin Good there Dave. I have been pondering what to do with my Key Chuck to insure I don't let it wonder away. now I know what I am going to do.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hope the Moderators don't mind, but this thread finally prompted me to add a new term to the lexicon - WDITOT - Why didn't I think of that? It fits this thread - and others - for me.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hope the Moderators don't mind, but this thread finally prompted me to add a new term to the lexicon - WDITOT - Why didn't I think of that? It fits this thread - and others - for me.

I love it, thanks for adding it :icon_thum:icon_thum

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The retractable key chain is ok until you forget to pull the chuck out of the drill and turn it on. :eyeslam:

I'm using one of the 1/2" rare earth magnets now.

"A mind is a terrible thing."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The retractable key chain is ok until you forget to pull the chuck out of the drill and turn it on. :eyeslam:

I'm using one of the 1/2" rare earth magnets now.

"A mind is a terrible thing."

My chuck key has a spring loaded center post. It is kinda hard to keep it in the chuck while using it. But without that feature, I could see that being a pants soiling event 8-O8-O8-O

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice work Dave. Rainy days seem to get my inventiveness in high gear also. In addition to the HF lights that were mentioned by others I found desk lamps in a stainless steel finish , gooseneck arm and a pretty strong spring clamp at Wal-Mart for about $7. I bought a few in anticipation of being able to use them on some of my machines when a flat steel surface is not in the right place for a magnetic mount. Now if I could only get the durn shop finished so I can set up my machines !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors