Fun with scrap/reclaiming bench space...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Or getting ready for the S. Wake/Johnston Co. shop crawl.
I got a bonus weekend to do somethings in the shop. Since getting my new chisel collection I have been wanting to make a better rack to house them. Thanks to y'alls suggestions and a few other off the net, I came up a good design.
My new chisel rack -

Chisel_rack_and_plane_till_015.jpg

I will have to say that out of the box these are ready to pare end gain. I can't imagine how sharp they will be once I've honed them on my new wet-stones.
In an effort to reclaim some more bench space, I threw together a scrap wood plane till -

Chisel_rack_and_plane_till_004.jpg

Both the chisel rack and plane till taking up valuable real estate on my bench -

Chisel_rack_and_plane_till_005.jpg

Seeing as I have just lost the space for my cordless drills I broke down and created a new shelfing unit for them -

Chisel_rack_and_plane_till_007.jpg

So here's my new bench set up, nothing pretty but highly functional -

Chisel_rack_and_plane_till_010.jpg

Yes I still have a lot of work to do to be ready to present my shop during the next shop crawl, but this is a start.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I know I can learn from y'alls suggestions.
TIA,
Dave:)

T

toolferone

Hey, I thought you where out of town this weekend!! Just teasing. It looks great Dave!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey, I thought you where out of town this weekend!! Just teasing. It looks great Dave!!

That's where the BONUS WEEKEND came into play. Someone had to watch the dawg while the ladies were away... I volunteered. My wife doesn't think though scenarios well enough :cool:.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The rack of chisels and the planes look good Dave, I guess Earl'schisel holder was too complicated for you, huh ?:rotflm:

Jimmy

ps. If you get bored with your projects for the shop run, maybe you could send a few elves my way.:gar-La;

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks great Dave, those chisels are certainly nice enough to show off!

BTW, so funny, everyone getting their shop ready for the crawl, we're all so vain..... :)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Looks great Dave, those chisels are certainly nice enough to show off!

BTW, so funny, everyone getting their shop ready for the crawl, we're all so vain..... :)

Bas,

When I say that I'm getting my shop ready for the crawl it's just damage control. Forget about me building any racks or anything like that, I'm just trying to clean up so no one trips and hurts themselves. Don't have any preconceived notions about my shop, it's not fancy, nor modern, nor are there any special tools, it's just mine and it has problems like everybody else's:gar-La;.

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
Dave, the racks look great!

What are the dimensions of your router table top? annnnnd if you had to build another would you us the same dimensions?

Thanks ahead

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the chisel rack and the plane till, Dave! I hope the Dawg didn't go hungry while you were working in the shop...:rotflm:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
:rotflm:Dude, what's up with that. Talk about organization.
We just can't take you anywhere.:nah::nah::rolf::rolf:.
Just kidding.

LOOOOKing good, ole bearded one.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice looking chisel rack there Dave. Hope to get to see it in person during the crawl.

Glennbear

Glenn
"So here's my new bench set up, nothing pretty but highly functional - "

I disagree Dave, to the owner of a currently 25% finished shop with NO benches built, it is definitely pretty :gar-La; Good job!! :wsmile:

Last edited:

Glennbear

Glenn
Bas,

When I say that I'm getting my shop ready for the crawl it's just damage control. Forget about me building any racks or anything like that, I'm just trying to clean up so no one trips and hurts themselves. Don't have any preconceived notions about my shop, it's not fancy, nor modern, nor are there any special tools, it's just mine and it has problems like everybody else's:gar-La;.

Encouraging to hear that mine is not the only shop that resembles an obstacle course :gar-La; I am disappointed though, I had visions of inlaid parquet floor and hand printed wall paper at JimmyC's shop :rotflm:

Rob

New User
Rob
Looks good Dave, I had a bonus day yesterday, but spent it sanding walls, preparing for paint.

The plane rack, if your banging something on your bench, do the planes fall out?

T

toolferone

So, Dave I have a question. How easy is it to place the chisels back in the rack? Do you see your self going back and forth between chisels in the rack, or just using them on the bench and replacing them when done.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a great way to organize a chisel collection!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc They sure like a good set, especially in their new "dock":wsmile:.

FWW magazine sure gave them good points:thumbs_up.

Wayne

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Nice work Dave, if only my scrap wood would automagically turn itself into something like that I might not be constantly looking for things! :rotflm:

Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, the racks look great!

What are the dimensions of your router table top? annnnnd if you had to build another would you us the same dimensions?

Thanks ahead

The RT top is 36" x 26"deep, if I did it again I would make it a little deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors