Fun with cheap screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well, it's been awhile, but after a long vacation I'm ready to get back to it. As I was finishing up the Roubo bench I had quite alot of fun while mounting the front coffin vise. Here's the story...

The idea is to attach the bench screw to the coffin vise:

Well, my 1st attempt using #10 BORG screws resulted in 1 breaking at the head while I was driving it in, and then what luck, the other broke as I was trying to unscrew it from the hole so I could patch the other hole:

Soo.. I drilled out the 2 broken screws and patched the 2 holes:

Then I went to the BORG again (stupid I know-but it was 8:30pm and nothing else was open) and got some 1/4" lag bolts-surely these are beefier and wouldn't break was what I thought------WRONG!!!!

Now, I did get lucky-only 1 broke:BangHead:. So another patch and I decided to just go with through bolts-that way if another one breaks, it'll just fall out and I won't have to patch any more holes.

The good news is the ROUBO is DONE!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc-I'll post some pics a little later

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
And for the same reason I absolutely despise the BORG screws and bolts. I've had the same thing happen to me too many times.

Looks great though and can't wait to see the bench being put to use!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I feel your pain! I never buy BORG screws anymore!:kamahlitu It just aint worth it.....

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Yea don;t use the ones from the bolt section.
get some from the nail/screw section that are made for decks. They might be colored but seem to be much stronger and work better.

M

McRabbet

Michael -- many of the fasteners in the BORG Hardware departments are low-cost imports that don't have much strength. I've had the same problem when I've used them and so I buy better quality at lower prices from specialty suppliers like Custom Service Hardware in Wisconsin (my personal favorite for cabinet making supplies) or from McFeelys, also based in Wisconsin (guess the state has more than cheese and the Green Bay Packers!). You can also get some at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop or Woodcraft, but they I suspect they are more expensive since they are resellers.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You can buy one of McFeely's packages. Large assortment of screws for general shop use. I don't even own McFeely stock, but will tell you that once you start using their screws you won't tolerate anything else!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
What's up Mike? :eek:ccasion1

I was wondering where you've been man. Vacation? SWEET. :yes: How was it?

The Robot thing looks cool, although I'm not a hundred percent sure what it does. :icon_scra:slap:

Cheers,

Trent

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ah...
Cheap screw
you break - we get money.
You buy more cheap screw - we get more money.
You buy bigger cheap screw - we get bigger money
We happy - you not - ah so.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
It's going to be all worth it when you cut your first dovetail on that beauty. But yeah, I only buy McFeelys now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS