From slab to fab

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
although a power point presentation would have been pretty cool!! Nice job Bas, that shop of yours looks pretty well appointed....

J

jeff...

Bas - I'm glad those slabs worked out for you and you were able to finish them up all heart wood and at 1" thick with no glue joints :). You did them a lot of justice... :thumbs_up

If you subtract all the planing, jointing and edge gluing time you would have had to do for laminated treads - you may have came out a little ahead of the game :dontknow:

I know those things were heavy to move around - I drug them out of the shop and loaded them in the back of my pickup by myself - glad you had a helper it made it a lot easier, I'm sure.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you subtract all the planing, jointing and edge gluing time you would have had to do for laminated treads - you may have came out a little ahead of the game :dontknow:
Using the planer sled was time consuming. It takes quite a bit of time to shim each board, apply the glue, and run it through 6-8 times (per side). If I had ripped them into 6" boards, I would have had one glue line, and been able to use the jointer.

But who cares how long it took! Having SOLID treads is pretty darn cool. Also taught me a lot about laying out stock, as opposed to just cuttin' away. And no glue to scrape.

I know those things were heavy to move around - I drug them out of the shop and loaded them in the back of my pickup by myself - glad you had a helper it made it a lot easier, I'm sure.
Easier, and definitely safer. Ripping and planing odd-shaped boards is tricky, and requires just a bit more attention.

J

jeff...

Using the planer sled was time consuming. It takes quite a bit of time to shim each board, apply the glue, and run it through 6-8 times (per side). If I had ripped them into 6" boards, I would have had one glue line, and been able to use the jointer.

But who cares how long it took! Having SOLID treads is pretty darn cool. Also taught me a lot about laying out stock, as opposed to just cuttin' away. And no glue to scrape.

Easier, and definitely safer. Ripping and planing odd-shaped boards is tricky, and requires just a bit more attention.

Right I see what your saying - but this is were Earl has got us all licked - he's perfected the "drag your board behind your pickup - up and down the street till flat" technique :gar-La; Earl has yet to give us technique details - but I "think" he starts off in gravel, then on to blacktop and finished it off on cement - I'm sure speed and length of drag per board width has something to do with it too :dontknow:.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bas, do you have a stair tread gauge? It is jig used to measure the treads, so they fit on the first time. Measures both length and any end angle. Put where the tread is to go, adjust it to fit, then place on tread, mark and cut to size. If not, after I get back from IWF, maybe I can show you how to make one.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
So Bas, how much did you get paid for that job:rotflm:. I guess you're just another one like the rest of us, doing it for the love of it, and to see if you can do it. Nice job:icon_thum.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great job and great write-up!! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum I am going through the same process of turning big ol' crooked boards (okay, so mine were only 8" wide) into square flat boards for a table. Still have to get everything the same thickness.
I used the same techniques as you, however my sled is more primitive, and for getting the straight edge, I was able to use a steel bed rail attached with carpet tape.

I do have one question: Did you also use the sled to get the twist out of the boards? (providing you had any). I used a hand plane to get the worst of it off the cupped side and then used the sled for the remainder.
When using your power jointer for narrower boards, do you remove the twist first, or do you have an extension table?

Go

PS, it has taken me most of a week to get to the same place you were the first day!!:embarrassed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS