From Chicago to Clayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppapineau

New User
Paul
Abandoned the snow and taxes in Illinois for Clayton. I retired from the submarine force after 31 years.

I have a 25 foot x 25 foot shop, but have not set it up yet...too busy getting the house unpacked.
I have a powermatic 2000 table saw, drill press, shopsmith (my wife's grandfathers!), three routers, jointer, drum sander...you get the idea. I have a lot of equipment.

I need to find sources of hardwood near Clayton. I checked out several of the places listed for Region three, but many are out of business, converted to other business or renamed. Very frustrating. I don't want anything nicer than S2S, but would prefer skip planned.

I'm anxious to get back to woodworking. I'm not big into hand tools because I like the exactness that comes with carefully set up power tools.
I have attached a small table I designed and built for my wife's sewing room.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 151

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile. Best and closest hardwood vendor to you is The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville (ad on right of screen). Otherwise the local Klingspore and Woodcraft have a limited selection at a higher cost.

George

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Paul,

Welcome to the forum. You have already mastered the most critical part of the website, uploading pictures. We love pictures.

About 30-40 minutes away from you is Scott Smith (www.quartersawnoak.com). Scott is a member here and he sells kiln dried lumber. He specializes in quarter sawn white oak, but he carries other species as well. Look at his gallery for some of the impressive wood he has.

Steve

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Happy you joined us Paul; best sawdust pile on the internet! Welcome aboard, from an old tin :icon_thumcan sailor.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Welcome to Clayton, getting more and more crowded here every day, but always great to see another woodworker here. I promise I'll sweep up after myself and lock up when I'm done in your shop :)

You'll have to drive a short bit for wood, don't know anyplace in Clayton that sells.

You can try Wurth Wood Group in Raleigh (off Poole Rd, about a 20 to 30 minute dry depending on where in Clayton you are) - http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/

Capitol City Lumber near the fairgrounds in Raleigh might have what you need. http://www.capitolcitylumber.com/

And just outside Clayton off of Hwy 70 headed towards Garner, right before you get to I-40, take a right onto Auburn-Knightdale Rd to get to Hood Distribution, they carry some hardwoods. They are really aimed at wholesale to cabinet guys and such, but have been friendly when I've stopped by and said they usually can help me out with small orders. http://www.hooddistribution.com/

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Welcome to NC and NCWW! I myself moved here from West Chicago 16 years ago. Feel free to give me a call if I can help you out with lumber. It's about 45 minutes to the farm from Clayton.

On a side note, I like the bead work on the table. It adds a nice touch.

Scott

Scott

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Welcome from another guy in Clayton. I can vouch for Scott's lumber. Nice stuff, nice guy and great shop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Will the last person leaving from north of the Mason-Dixon line please turn off the lights. Something you never hear "When I retire, I'm moving to New Jersey." Welcome to the south.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Will the last person leaving from north of the Mason-Dixon line please turn off the lights. Something you never hear "When I retire, I'm moving to New Jersey." Welcome to the south.

I may have moved here from Chicago but was born and raised in the south. Your comment about NJ made me laugh out loud!

Scott

ppapineau

New User
Paul
Thanks. I've been to capital City and they are definitely and asset. Wurthwoodgroup has mostly soft maple and plywood, but they seem like a good source for hardwood ply. I will have to check out the other.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hi Bruce, I know of two people who are moving back to NJ from Cary. But both are exceptions to the rule.

Latest migration map from the gov (that I could find).
CA_Migration_v2_101-01.png

it's natures way of telling you somethings wrong
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0Vu_utUZY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS