Fret or coping saw Updated with photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
For years the only tool I ever used to make dovetails was a router. The project I am working on would not be right without hand cut dovetails. I am using a magnetic guide for the rip cuts, but to clear the waste I have tried chopping and my marginal coping saw. I have convinced myself that I need a new tool to cut the waste out. Should it be a fret saw or a better coping saw ??

Last edited:

Newboy

George
User
Re: Fret or coping saw

Knew is really good, but probably not worth it if you are only cutting a few.

The fret saw will fit in the kerf of your rip saw.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

I use a scroll saw - don't recall if you have one. I think the joint would still qualify as hand-cut :>

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I am leaning towards the Knew Concepts fret saw - I owe it to myself - Right?

Barron

New User
Barron

Go with the Knew Concepts, it's a great saw. However, if worried about the cost the most recent Popular Woodworking has an article on coping saws and how to tune them up. I would love to get the KC coping saw, but since I bought the KC fret saw shortly after they came out I can't justify both.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Umm..is there some reason you can't just chop out the waste with chisels ? With hand-work, I think one always wants to form the bottom of the voids next to the pins and tails with a chisel so that one can (slightly) undercut the bottoms of the voids for a tight fit with the pins/tails.

With chisels, I do my wasting and undercutting at the same time.

But don't construe this as advice against buying a new tool.

-Mark

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I would not fret over which ever method you choose. :D

yeh but coping with an inferior tool is worse than fretting over it.:gar-Bi

the chisel is you're friend for this IMHO:icon_thum.
25 years down the road you will be good at it and decide to get one of them fancy new routers cause its faster.......:gar-La;

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member

Fret saw blades are available in smaller widths than coping saw blades, so when you put it down your rip saw kerf you can turn it 90 degrees and saw across. Don't knock sawing dovetail waste: that's how Tage Frid taught it. Often you still have to clean up with a sharp chisel, but it's just a little paring cut done by hand, not a lot of chopping using a mallet.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Just to throw in another variable. Have you considered a jewelers saw. They can be even smaller and more precise.

Nah, I like the Knew, might have to get one eventually myself. Although I do already have a good jewelers saw.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I somehow convinced myself that I deserved the Knew Concepts fret saw, but I still did not want to spend a Ben Franklin on one - So I happened to look directly at the Knew site and they sell the same saw, just without the whistles. I gave up the blade orientation adjustment and the quick tension release. They sell a standard model for half the price. I could justify a Ulysses Grant so my new Knew saw is on the way

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Please post a link to what you actually bought. I do tend to trust your judgement and research.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

So, the one you bought has a fixed blade position? How will you cut the bottom line of a dovetail?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

So, the one you bought has a fixed blade position? How will you cut the bottom line of a dovetail?
It would limit you to 10" stock (5" max from either side), but Phil mentioned he passed on the 3" since it would limit him to 6", so I am guessing he took that into account.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Fret saw blades are available in smaller widths than coping saw blades, so when you put it down your rip saw kerf you can turn it 90 degrees and saw across. Don't knock sawing dovetail waste: that's how Tage Frid taught it. Often you still have to clean up with a sharp chisel, but it's just a little paring cut done by hand, not a lot of chopping using a mallet.
Frid teaches wasting with chisels in his "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" books (Volume 1, page 67) Mind you, Frid lived a long time so he *might possibly* have taught more than one method. ;-)

Anyways back to the merits of the approach, as you can tell I like to waste with a chisel. I think it's more efficient than saw+chisel: by stacking & clamping the workpieces stair-step-wise, I only need to mess with clamps twice for an entire stack of pieces (or four times if both ends are being dovetailed) - versus two or four clamping operations *per workpiece* for sawing out the waste and paring with a chisel.

-Mark

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

The thin blade of the fret saw will allow me to easily drop in the rip saw kerf and then rotate the saw frame and blade together and saw straight across the bottom. You could install a spiral blade and cut sideways, but I am not good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS