Free pecan logs

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have some massive pecan logs for free if anyone is interested - about 10 or more. They came from my neighbor's yard and were cut about 2 months ago. They had 2 trees pushed over to remove them. I spoke to the contractor and got him to dump the logs in the edge of our woods. I really wanted the smaller limbs for firewood but most of them had already been hauled away. What's left is mostly too big for my chainsaw. There are two 30"+ diameter trunk logs over 10' in length. Of course there is a chance of a nail or two in these logs. There is one 40"+ diameter log cut from the limb section. The rest are large limbs.
These are very easy to get to, just drive right up to them. I have chains and a strong truck to pull them around for easier access and will be glad to help. You can even bring a portable sawmill to slice them up where they are.
Located in Nash County just south of Spring Hope on highway 581.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hope someone takes you up on this. Pecan is a nice wood, albeit a bit hard to work (like hickory). I bet logs that diameter would make beautiful lumber.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Hope someone takes you up on this. Pecan is a nice wood, albeit a bit hard to work (like hickory). I bet logs that diameter would make beautiful lumber.
I have some older pecan from a yard tree blown over by Hurricane Floyd in 1999. It is very straight grained and is indeed pretty. Looks a lot like white oak. I haven't used much of it so I really don't need more. But if no one wants this I may have it milled myself. problem for me is I don't have money to spend on it, nor a good place to store it.
I just hate to see good wood rot on the ground.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Might be worth at least asking someone with a portable saw mill or means to transport what it would cost to have it milled (and maybe kiln dried). Could be we get a group to go in together and then divide the lumber. The possibility of hitting nails might make it cost-prohibitive. Sharpening blades or replacing teeth gets expensive.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Sometimes people with wood-mizers will cut the wood and take half or so for payment. Used to be you could find local guys on the wood-mizer site.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors