Found Great Local Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
For Inlay banding & stringing material.

Was put off by the "new" display and "new" pricing for the inlay material I've been buying from my local supplier. Over $20.00 for two 1/8" x 36" long strips.:nah: Just last month I paid 7.98 for the same 2 pieces.

Did a web search and found a source right in my back yard. Inlay Banding sells over the internet to folks across the country but is located near my office east of Indian Trail. It's a home based business and I don't want to give out the address but I'll say this:

Owner, Matt Furjanic hooked me up with several very nice pieces of banding for some inlay work I'm planning. His quality is MUCH MUCH better than what I had been buying...and the price is lower. What a nice treat. Matt is a top notch woodworker as well and gave me a tour of his house where almost all the furniture was "home made". And boy was it well designed and built. With plenty of well executed inlays.:wink_smil

Matt makes his inlay with solid wood, not veneers. This results in a better looking product. And the fit is better because the edges are smoother & more consistent than the commercial stuff.

So if you want some nice inlay, banding, purfling or stringing, I recommend checking out his web site. www.inlaybanding.com. He has all kinds including special Federal pieces.

This sounds like an advertisement but it's not...Just a very satisfied customer.

jayhay

New User
Jay
Wow..I am new to this site and it has paid off already with this inlay site. He has great prices and some beautiful boxes for sale. Thanks for the tip.:thumbs_up

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow you ain't kidding about the prices, especially for his jewelry boxes. This one is $975 -

box70.JPG

He said that was about 60 hours of work :swoon:

Way too much talent for just $15 an hour.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If I'da made that box, (not that I could) you could add 2 zero's to that price. Beautiful work.

:gar-Bi

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks John! I've been to his site before, but I didn't realize he is in our backyard!!! I guess I'll have to see about giving him some business in the future!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow you ain't kidding about the prices, especially for his jewelry boxes. This one is $975 -

box70.JPG

He said that was about 60 hours of work :swoon:

Way too much talent for just $15 an hour.

I saw that and was very impressed. I didn't even think of figuring out how much he made per hour. $15, wow that's way lower than I thought for such a beautiful piece. What would you charge?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I saw that and was very impressed. I didn't even think of figuring out how much he made per hour. $15, wow that's way lower than I thought for such a beautiful piece. What would you charge?

Well that's a tough topic. I would start with my materials cost plus a profit margin. Then determine my labor rate based on what I needed to be profitable. I use $25 an hour because that is what I make at work. And if it can't be more profitable than my day job, it ain't worth doing...for profit

I would suspect that there is $50 in materials add 30% to that is $65. Then multiply your labor rate to the hours you have in it - $1,500.
So $1,565. Would I be able to sell it at that...maybe.
The best price is what the customer is willing to pay, and one that covers your expenses and a profit margin.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Dave,

Really helps out. Maybe when I get some customers I will use it. Man I need some customers. Need more income. Ha ha ha. As I am sure everyone could use more income!

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Matt teaches a french polishing class at the Matthews Woodcraft occasionally. I took it two or three years ago and he's a really nice guy.

I gave his card to a guy at work and he ordered some banding from him. He agrees with you John - very satisfied with the quality and price.:icon_thum

JohnW

New User
John
That jewelry box is awesome but he has two more of similar design that are at least equal in quality/execution. (IMHO)

Greg, you're correct. His boxes are french polished as are the tops to all his furniture. Really nice finish and very easily repaired if your inlaws happen to leave rings on furniture....Better not go there :gar-La;
Matt's does teach french polishing class occasionally and has also had an inlay class scheduled, but not enough signed up. I personally have done a fair amount of inlay work but I'm sure he could teach me alot.

FWIW I saw a Bosch Colt in his shop and asked....Yes, it's his "go to" router for much of this work.

My Colt doesn't know the same tricks. Must have got a slow one.

M

McRabbet

John,

You should invite Matt to join the website! He would be very welcome here and we encourage NC merchants and suppliers to become members. I'm sure it could help his sales.

JohnW

New User
John
Rob, I agree and did talk to him about the site. He said he's heard of us before. I'll bring it up again as I know I'll be speaking to Matt fairly soon. I'm asking him to make a custom back strip for a guitar I'm working on. (to cover a mistake) :eusa_doh:

FWIW, I did some inlay work with his material last night. Very tight fit. The edges are smoother, and width is more consistant as compared to the store bought banding I was using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors