Forum Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Something I would like to see as a beginner is when people show their finished work (ie: tables, desk, chest of drawers, etc) if they would be kind enough to share the tools they used to make it. Or even a little detail on how they made it.

When I see this nice furniture it makes me want to go out and try it myself but I don't have a clue where to start and if I even have the correct tools to start. If I see a desk and they list the tools, I know if I could even start the project or don't have the equipment.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's a good idea, but if you ask us, most of us will tell ya anyways.

botebum

New User
Doug
It's a great idea. Sort of a Bill of Required Tools.
Keep in mind that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. For example- Chippendale didn't own a DeWalt Model #733 planer or his dad's Craftsman lathe. You might start a thread(although there's probably been several already) asking what are the initial tools you need to get started and what to eventually add to that arsenal and in what order you should add them.
Much can be done with hand tools but you may get discouraged by slow process and the difficulty in acquiring the skills to use them well. Power tools will give you a more immediate result but still will not make an expert out of you until you have some experience. Starting out with simple, 'weekend' projects is the best way IMHO to start out. You can build up your arsenal and your skillset gradually and by the time you have the tools to build that highly decorated secretaire you'll have the skills required as well.
All that said, I still think you have a good idea.

Doug

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
We've had many threads on this subject in the past & will probably have more yet. The summation to most of them is:
1. It depends on what type of WWing you intend to do (flat work, turning, cabinets, furniture, scroll/intarsia/marquetry).
2. How much shop space do you have?
3. What kind of tool budget you have.
Ultimately it will be your decision but most of the folks here are more than willing to share their opinions pro or con on any specific tool or direction you wish to pursue.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
We do have a "how to" forum where people can document the project progress for others. That way you can see what needs to be done and how that woodworker did it. From there you determine if you can do it, (the same way or differently).

As an example, Travis and I are SLOWLY building Maloof style rockers. We have deviated from the plan repeatedly, as between us we have some very different tools than the person who wrote the plans.

Doug

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dennis has some excellent questions. What kinds / types / brands of tools really can't be the first of the questions... although there are places all over the internet that will tell you exactly what you have to buy first. I think the first question might be "What kind of a project do you want to build?" That's what determines the tool list. If you want to build cabinets, a table saw is a good tool to have. If you want to make picture frames, maybe you start with a chop saw and a router.

At the risk of loosing my lifetime membership in the WoodGuyDisease Foundation, I would start with a minimalist attitude. Buy only what you need, when you need it. If you don't spend money on things your don't really need, or won't use often, you 'll have more money for the tools and supplies that you do need. (Apologies for belaboring the obvious.)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Subscribe to woodworking mags or visit the library and read for free!
The mags often list the tools needed along with materials . . . a helpful guide before choosing a project.

HTH,
Roger

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Subscribe to woodworking mags or visit the library and read for free!
The mags often list the tools needed along with materials . . . a helpful guide before choosing a project.

HTH,
Roger

I subscribed to NCWoodWorker.net :)

cskipper

Cathy
I like the idea, not sure how to accomplish it. For example, if I am working on something small (I am a scroller) and have no clamps, how could I accomplish the effect of clamping anyway. If it's clamping a couple of pieces of wood together that need to be be level and the same height/thickness, I might use an extra piece of wood above and below and some small rubber bands (just large enough to work and still exert pressure) and add some weight to the top of that. I might just place a piece of wood on top and add weight to that - as long as it's will provide weight evenly across the piece. I coiuld also put wood on top and bottom and screw them together outside the edges with weight in the middle if a larger piece. If I building a piece of furniture (ok - the rest of you guys can quit laughing) and was short on clamps, what did I do to make it work anyway. Or what kind of clamps were used, and why those were the ones chosen (frequently the reason will be what they have on hand). There are endless ways, but sometimes we learn them by hearing how someone else managed it, and some of it is just ingenuity or just dumb luck. Is that the kind of thing you would like to know?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Dang Ken, I was just about to post a link to my Who We Are thread. I had posted pictures and basically told how I made my bed, every step of the way. But for that post, I had used photobucket to post the pictures and they deleted my account. :BangHead: I've got to run a few errands, but when I get back, I'll try to repost that for you if you're interested. It may not be a project that you are interested in doing anytime soon, but it may help you somewhat. :eusa_thin

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
That is kinda exactly what I want. If I want to make a bed frame, and knew I really needed a planner and didn't have one or something similar then I wouldn't start or either have to make some sort of other arrangements.

My eight year old son wants a desk for his room, I really want to make one, but after looking at all the furniture on this site, I am not capable and would not even know how to begin. I have a limited number of tools and have no idea how I would make boards wide enough for a desk, I assume I need a jointer to work the edges and maybe a biscuit cutter or dowels to assemble my wide stuff, but then wouldn't I need a planner? Then how would I cut the joints for assembly? Would I rabbit, dove tail, not even sure how to make any of these, do they require special tools? I guess I would need a router or router table to make the edges look nice, etc.

I guess it is like a recipe, if I have all the ingredients, I can make the dish. If the desk plans list all the tools needed, I would know if I can even start the project.

Dang Ken, I was just about to post a link to my Who We Are thread. I had posted pictures and basically told how I made my bed, every step of the way. But for that post, I had used photobucket to post the pictures and they deleted my account. :BangHead: I've got to run a few errands, but when I get back, I'll try to repost that for you if you're interested. It may not be a project that you are interested in doing anytime soon, but it may help you somewhat. :eusa_thin

Glennbear

Glenn
You might want to check out WOOD magazine, a lot of their projects have good "recipes" and lists of "utensils" needed . :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's an example of the variables in such a project with regards to skill, design, and budget:

My eight year old son wants a desk for his room, I really want to make one, but after looking at all the furniture on this site, I am not capable and would not even know how to begin. Are you planning on building something that is 'heirloom' quality or something you won't mind handing down to another youngster when he outgrows it?
What does the plan entail? Drawers? Shelves? Roll top? Laminate?

I have a limited number of tools and have no idea how I would make boards wide enough for a desk,
Bar/pipe clamps or a bench top/sheet of plywood with with cleats & wedges to hold boards tight together could be used here. plywood itself makes a good desk top if you edge band it with iron on banding or hardwood strips.

I assume I need a jointer to work the edges
You could also use a router table or stationary base with a good straightedge and a good 1/2"+ diameter x 1" long straight bit.

and maybe a biscuit cutter or dowels to assemble my wide stuff
Not necessary unless you think so. Many panels are glued up without biskits or dowels.

but then wouldn't I need a planer?
Are you starting with dressed lumber? If so, you could use a hand plane and card scraper to get the surface even & smooth. No sanding may be required this way. With rough lumber a good bench plane and a lot of elbow grease is required. Don't forget you need to know how to sharpen all these hand tools.

Then how would I cut the joints for assembly?
Would I rabbit, dove tail, not even sure how to make any of these, do they require special tools? Miters? (miter saw, hand saw/plane if you're good, table saw, radial arm saw, circular saw & square). Dadoes (router, table or radial arm saw & dado set, hand saw & chisel), dovetail (back saw or coping saw& chisel, router & dovetail guide w/bit)
I guess I would need a router or router table to make the edges look nice, etc.

Not necessarily. Edges can be made to look nice with a hand plane by easing the edges. Or, you can invest in an antique molding plane and dress them down that way.

I guess it is like a recipe, if I have all the ingredients, I can make the dish. If the desk plans list all the tools needed, I would know if I can even start the project.
It IS like a recipe, but one in which you need to know that sometimes substitutions can be made without compromising the finished product. And you haven't even started to talk about finishes yet.
What I guess I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to get your feet wet but don't jump off the deep end of the pool before you know how to swim. Build your skills on basic projects using inexpensive materials first to achieve a skill level where you feel comfortable with advancing. No one here started out knowing how to do this. Take an
objective view of your projects & learn from your mistakes (you'll make them). You could take any project on this site and follow the instructions given and not get good results if you haven't achieved the skills levels required to execute the tasks described.
What tools do you have now? I'm sure there are enough WWers here to give you ideas on many projects you could do with the items in your tool box if they are in reasonably good condition.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken

What tools do you have now? I'm sure there are enough WWers here to give you ideas on many projects you could do with the items in your tool box if they are in reasonably good condition.

Thanks for all you of input, it all helps a lot.

Tools I have now...
Table Saw
Band Saw
Lathe
Jointer
Circular Saw
2 bar clamps
2 grip clamps
Thats about it, not much in the hand tools. I do have a few cordless drills and a really old router but no bits.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for all you of input, it all helps a lot.

Tools I have now...
Table Saw
Band Saw
Lathe
Jointer
Circular Saw
2 bar clamps
2 grip clamps
That's about it, not much in the hand tools. I do have a few cordless drills and a really old router but no bits.
I can see a desk for an 8 year old in that tool group there:

1 sheet of cabinet grade 3/4" plywood.
1 roll wood-grained edge banding
1# #8 x 2" wood screws
1# #8 x 1-1/4" wood screws
1 -pint Tite Bond glue
1 - 3/8" dowel

Using the table saw, rip the plywood to ~23 - 7/8" (half in two).
Mark one piece so there is a 24" x 29-1/4" box with another 36" x 12" box vertically atop it. Overall length would be 64". On the other end of that sheet, do the same thing in 'flip mode. You'll be cutting out essentially a "Z" You'll also need some sort of hand saw to finish the cuts without cutting through.
There should be little waste to get these 2 pieces.

Here's a sketch:

Use the other piece of 24" x 96" to make the top, 2 shelves, & a stretcher for the back with the table saw. Rip cleats to go beneath the shelves to hold them in place. Attach the cleats with glue & 1-1/4" screws. Use 2" screws & countersink w/ 3/8" bit to attach shelves & top. Cut dowels to go into screw holes exposed & saw & sand off flush. Edge band all exposed plywood edges - OR use small hardwood strips 3/4" x 1/4" for edging. Attach with glue & small brads. It can be ripped & mitered on the table saw & sanded smooth once applied.

If you feel 30" will be too tall for your son, make the top shorter - maybe 26"

Get the idea? :icon_scra

Now, get to work!:icon_cheers

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Ok, this is as far as I have gotten so far, had to show it to Zachary to see if that is what he wanted.

desk16.JPG

View image in gallery

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks Ken! After looking at the cut plan, it took me a minute to envision the construction, but I could not have drawn it out for my son. I am going to show your pic to my wife and kids, to see if they want a desk like that. Should be a nice easy afternoon project, and with your drawing, I think I can close the deal!

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
It is not a nice sketch but it is to scale, I just downloaded and started playing with Google Sketchup

Thanks Ken! After looking at the cut plan, it took me a minute to envision the construction, but I could not have drawn it out for my son. I am going to show your pic to my wife and kids, to see if they want a desk like that. Should be a nice easy afternoon project, and with your drawing, I think I can close the deal!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This has been an interesting thread for a variety of reasons. Mostly becuase I've been there myself and know other people who have been too. Before I started this site, I was going on woodnet and asking questions, usually without much help:rotflm:

Anyway, here is a suggestion for a new forum. I want to build a ......? The idea being that a member could post the project type that they would want to build and get advice or perhaps even instructions on how and what to do.

Almost every woodworking task can be handled many ways. Also within this group we could probably find someone who would supply a tool when needed. For instance, if you lived near me, you use my planner. Or if you needed a router and certain bits, that could also be available.

But even more important is that instruction could be provided on a project basis. I know that we already do this in the woodworking forums, but a seperate of sub-forum would highlight the type of help needed and/or requested.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok, this is as far as I have gotten so far, had to show it to Zachary to see if that is what he wanted.

Amazing! :thumbs_up The stretcher of course should go in the back below the desk top. You could also delete the waste cut out of the top on the side adjacent the cleat piece to give you a longer shelf for the top & then overlap the sides with it ......and all from one sheet of PW!
Now, we don't wanna hear from ya again unless it's got WIP pics!:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors