Forum organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Forum Moderators

Just closed up mine. I see your point about new members bringing up old threads.

Since you're wanting to perhaps change some assigments, now might be a good time to consolidate some of the lesser used forums into broader categories. It would simplify the assignments and make the main forums page shorter (don't have to scroll down as much). Just a thought...

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

Monty said:
Just closed up mine. I see your point about new members bringing up old threads.

Since you're wanting to perhaps change some assigments, now might be a good time to consolidate some of the lesser used forums into broader categories. It would simplify the assignments and make the main forums page shorter (don't have to scroll down as much). Just a thought...
It's a great thought, Suggestions?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

I would like to add sub-forums to the Power Tools and Their Use forum. How do I go about doing it without screwing something up? I logged into both the Admin and Mod area of vBulletine but did not see how to go about adding sub-forums. Either I don't have the authority to do so (which might be a good thing) or I didn't know what I should be looking for.

In an effort to conduct a little housekeeping in one of my assigned forums I would like to add numerous sub-forums for things like TS, BS, Jointer, Lathe, DP, Planer, etc so I can move some of the 3,972 threads into a more logical sub-forum to assist members in locating and viewing threads which have a common relationship.

Steve, If you don't think this is a wise move then just tell me to "at-ease in the harness" and go sweep the floors or something.:lol:

D L

Monty

New User
Monty

SteveColes said:
Suggestions?

I thought I just made one! :lol: Seriously, I think that the forums that have less than say 20-30 threads don't really need a separate forum. Maybe they could be a child under a more general forum, without increasing the burden of the moderators for that forum. I don't see a good way to fix the "Woodworking" section, even though there are some parts (like carving) that hardly get used at all.

Just a few random thoughts, in no particular order:

"Buy & Sell" Section
"Confidential Offers" - make this a child category under "DQ Offers"
Rename "Buy & Sell Tools" to just "Buy and Sell"
"Others" - get rid of this and move the posts to "Buy and Sell"
"Marketing" - well that never really took off, and doesn't deserve its own forum IMHO

FAQ section
could be one forum with sub-forums underneath - just to save space

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I concur with Monty's recommendation to consolidate some of the lesser used forums as well as deleting the Marketing Forum.

Under the Woodworking Category I am not sure what we can do with the General Woodworking forum to better organize it. As for the Power Tools and their Use forum, as I mentioned above you could have a forum tree set up something like this:

Woodworking > Power Tools and Their Use >
- Tablesaws
- Bandsaws
- Boring Machines (this would cover drillpress, HCM, Cordless Drills, etc)
- Jointers
- Planers
- Sanders
- Routers/Router Tables/Shapers
- Mitersaws/Compound Miter Saw/Sliding Compund Miter Saw
- Air Compressors
- Pneumatic Tools
- Blades/Bits/Cutters
- Dust Collectors
- Other (or Misc)

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Monty said:
Actually sounds like a nice idea. Interested in what others think...

There are currently 329 threads in the Power Tool forum that could easily be located by topic using the search function then moved into the appropriate sub-forum. There are a couple of benefits to this.

1) If a member is looking for info about Jointers they can go straight to that forum and easily review all of the threads pertaining to that topic without weeding through a lot of other threads.

2) If a member posts a question about buying a new tool then a Mod could easily point them to a specific sub-forum where they can research the info on their own.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I would take the Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell and put it under Monty's new suggestion for "Buy & Sell" Section

Also, put "Sell Wood" under the new section. Basically, put anything having anything to do with a barter system, under one heading.

cskipper

Cathy
I like the direction youi all are taking. Please list scroll saws under one of the headings. I'd never think to look under boring tools if I was thinking drill press, etc... Maybe that's just my ignorance, but I'd be tempted to to use Drills and other boring tools or something like that.

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
cskipper said:
I like the direction youi all are taking. Please list scroll saws under one of the headings. I'd never think to look under boring tools if I was thinking drill press, etc... Maybe that's just my ignorance, but I'd be tempted to to use Drills and other boring tools or something like that.

Good point:icon_thum

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Good point on Boring Machines Cathy. And just for you we will add Scrollsaws to the Buy and Sell forum.:lol: Just kidding..... The list I put together was just my first cut. I knew I was probably going to miss something.

D L

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
We could make a category of tools we want to steal from WG and list scroll saws under it :lol: Obviously I'm kidding. I do like the direction you have taken with the categories.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I like both DL and Monty's ideas.
Some of the lesser used forums could definately be consolidated.
Splitting up the power tools & their use forum makes great sense. I think these are awesome suggestions to make the site more easily navigated and to make searching easier.

Monty

New User
Monty

I made a few of the quick changes that I suggested. Moving forums around is going to take a few minutes, and I don't have the time right now. Should be able to get to it later today.

I still think more organization ideas are needed, though. For example, putting scrollsaws under power tools (not Buy & Sell! :slap: ).

Monty

New User
Monty

Any feedback on the FAQ section? I almost think that the threads under "Forums" become hidden down below the sub-forum options. Maybe I should move all those threads into a new sub-forum called "Posting on the forums" or something like that. Thoughts?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Monty said:
Any feedback on the FAQ section? I almost think that the threads under "Forums" become hidden down below the sub-forum options. Maybe I should move all those threads into a new sub-forum called "Posting on the forums" or something like that. Thoughts?

Monty, I see what you mean about those threads being hidden. If you don't scroll down you can easily miss them. I like your idea about making a sub-forum for those as well. Another suggestion; either place the sub-forums in order of precedence based on how often they are visited (e.g. forum posting, photo gallery, chat, links, download, calendar) or place them in alphabetical order. Personally I like the option of listing them by precedence better.

I just printed off a copy of the Forums index and will see if I can come up with more ideas for organizing them. BTW, is there a Site Map link on the site or do I need to go to vBulletin to get it?

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
How about this for FAQ. Move the FAQ header Forum to under Site Features and then make it an active Forum. Move all FAQ threads directly under it and delete the sub forums.?????

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
"Site Map link " Where??

Steve, I was looking for a "Site Map" button and could not locate one. I ended up opening the Forum home page and printing it out which gave me a bunch of headers, menu bars, etc which I didn't really need. I went to vBulletin and printed another version of the forum tree which will be easier to work with. I am just using it to see if I can figure out some suggestion for Monty on how to better organize and cull down our forum index.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS