Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I stole this router lathe:

HPIM2589.jpg

with a bit of documentation:

HPIM2591.jpg

The victim was a willing fellow member doing a favor for someone by getting rid of these old tools.

A big NCWW round of applause for Jim Roche :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

Maybe I better add a second round bfore I reveal what I paid. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

10$ including the router. Despite some apparent years of storage, it fired right up. And there is a bit in it. OK, one more round. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I also bought an old Caftsman 8" TS and a lot of extras that came with it (including a Dayton 1 HP motor that is serious strong) for $40, but that will be in another thread at a later date (some restoration required, but still a good deal).

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice score(s) Andy! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc You did steal those. :cool:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you make with it. Sounds like Jeff Mill's kind of lathe. :rotflm:

CarvedTones

Andy
Tom,

I slipped down the slope long ago. The router lathe will help me get perfect diameter and or consistent taper a lot better than I can do by hand.

Trent,

The first thing I will do is not that exciting; I have a batch of whistle/flute blanks that I am in the process of roughing and drilling and then was going to turn down to have reasonably thin walls on my regular lathe. I should be able to get them really thin using this. Of course, any of you flat workers nearby that I owe favors (or even if I don't) are welcome to borrow it if yo need to make a fancy fluted table leg or something. It would make short work of that barley twist I am carving in my avatar pic.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
I 'stole' one of these a few months back (along with 2 truckloads of old Craftman tools). I though I was missing pieces but looking at you pictures, it appears to be all there. I can't wait to see what it can do!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That's a great score Andy. Jim seems to come up with some great deals on occasion--wish y'all didn't live so far across the state from me. I picked up one of those Craftsman Router Lathe many years ago at a garage sale. The cable(s) were broken and there was no instructions with it. I think I finally gave it to someone else. A few years ago I spent some time looking for one on Ebay. Those little cuties will bring nice dollar if you want to buy one. Sure would like to see what you create with it.:icon_cheers

CarvedTones

Andy
Mike,

I am missing the crank handle, but that is no big deal. It isn't even striclty necessary. Even though I have the printed manual, I like having it electronic also and found it here:
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/own...N-Router-L0805061?brand_name_search=720.25251
It uses a viewer for the PDF to force you to read their ads at least once, but then you can save the PDF locally.

Bruce,

Yeah, I chased a couple on the Bay and let them get away in the past. It was a few years back also - maybe we were driving each other away and making some poor slob pay way too much. :rolf:
I told Jim I felt like I should be wearing a mask, but he was just helping someone who wanted it gone. I just checked completed listings on eBay out of curiousity and they have been selling for $75+, with some selling for over $100 without a router! Mine is not for sale. :nah:

The TS (gloat coming in a few days) is requiring enough TLC to make it "only" a great deal, but not as stellar as the router lathe. I should not complain too much about surface rust, as most $40 saws don't come with multiple dado stack sets, a stack of extra blades or a 1 HP Dayton motor.

CarvedTones

Andy
Whatcha gonna do with your spare tablesaw?

Good question. It will be the cherry picked leftovers; not necessarily bad and one decision may even come as a surprise to some. I am pretty sure I will keep the 8" and get rid of the 9". Either saw will cut 8/4 at 90 and 5/4 at 45. I like the adjustment one the 8" slightly better; it has a depth read out. Anyway, what I will likely be selling or trading for not very much is a 3/4 HP 1725 RPM Craftsman motor with a 2 step sheave on it (you need the larger one to get the speed for a saw blade), the 9" saw with one good blade and one that's not so good, a miter gauge, a fence in usable but not not great shape. No guard, no extensions. I will mount it on the old wooden stand the 8" came to me on. I am thinking about $25 here or maybe $40 on CL.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Cool. There was someone here recently looking for a good (and very affordable) starter saw.... He might be interested if he's not already found something.

CarvedTones

Andy
Not sure I would call it a good starter saw. These old Craftsman benchtops are extremely accurate but with really small tables. I am keeping the wing and extension fence, which make it more general purpose.

pikapp691

New User
Nick
My grandfather left me some tools one of which was a router just like that. Is there anyway to get a copy of the manual. I will pay you for your time and mail cost.

Thanks

CarvedTones

Andy
Nick,

I am local to you, so i am sure we can work something out if there is no PDF of it on line. That previous PDF was for the "roter Crafter", but you are after the actual router manual, correct?

-Andy

CarvedTones

Andy
A quick Google turned up nada for me, but lots of people are looking for one.
Also saw several of the routers for sale, but none for as a little as $10. :banana:
PM me or follow up here if you find one. Otherwise I will try to scan or copy tonight. Since your router is inherited and a more meaningful possession, I don't mind keeping a copy and letting you have the original if that is your preference. I am not very sentimental about this one yet. :)

CarvedTones

Andy
A bit of a backtrack - I will keep the 9". The table and guts are in better shape. Not enough to make a difference in my lifetime, but it would still bug me to get rid of the shinier one with slightly more depth of cut. That latter part is one of those "it would be just my luck" Murphy's law things, or so I thought. It turns out that I have a little stock on hand that is over 2" and could be cut with the 9" but not the 8".

Glennbear

Glenn
Congratulations Andy, great price and that machine seems to perfectly suited to your flute making. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS