For those of you with an 8" grinder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I just picked up a Delta 8" variable speed grinder (1725 -3450 RPM), and while far from being non-usable, there is a decent bit of vibration. I took one of the wheels off and rotated it 180 degrees and reinstalled it, dressed both wheels, all the things that seemed like common sense to me. These are the factory Aluminum Oxide wheels. I'm sure that swapping out for Norton 3X wheels will help, but short of buying balancing jigs, etc. is there anything else that I should be doing to ensure smooth operation?

Thanks,

Ben

P.S. I used the receipt that Jhreed posted in his photo album to get the grinder for $60. It's normally ~ $120.

:tool:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had the same problem. I rotated swapped,and changed the wheels - sometimes making the vibration better and sometimes worse but never to a level that I felt acceptable. I finally ordered the Oneway balancing jig and it worked great. It was costly but the problem is history

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Buying the Oneway thingamajig costs just as much as the *#@! grinder. It's like buying a $100 riser kit for my $150 bandsaw.... there must be another way!!! :)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Don't look for the Norton wheels to fix the vibration. Mine was fine until I added Nortons. I just kept reinstalling until I hit it right. :dontknow:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Cutting some rubber pads for under the feet of the grinder and then bolting it down has helped alot in my vibration problems. At worst, it's a cheap enough solution to try.

Good luck,

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
make sure the ears of the wheel clamp are dead flat against the wheel. if the stick out the slightest it will unbalance the grinder. Mine is fine. Goldsboro has 3 more. Last resort, take it back quick & exchange it.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS