Food-Proof Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
During the warmer weather, we host loads of BBQs. We have a large deck with a couple of tables on it and maybe some room for a few more pieces. SWMBO asked me to make something to help with serving. I was thinking of a butler's table (top is really a removable serving tray).

Given its intended function (covered with food and drink) and that it will spend too much time in the sun, I was wondering about finish. I had good luck with wipe on poly when I refinshed the kitchen table, but if this thing sits in the sun on the deck for hours at a time, I wonder how the finish would hold up.

Any thoughts on teenager-proof finish?

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ray, how about some Marine grade spar-varnish? Hopefully someone with more experience with durable out-door finishes will chime in here.

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Now, I have to ask, why they have developed a finish specially for MARINES, and no ARMY grade finish?:slap:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I should have mentioned in the original post... I expect this table will be put away when we are not hosting a BBQ.

I did use Spar varnish on some wood on the front of the house and it worked very well, even with a front yard full of pine trees. It lasted several years before showing any wear.

Ray

skeeter

New User
Charles
I use a product called "salad bowl finish" on chopping blocks that come into contact with food. It is clear and with a few coats buffed with fine steel wool between coats, it has a satin-like finish. It is made for wood in contact with food. However, I have not used it on any outdoor projects!! It is advertised in woodworking catalogs (Grizzly - page 404)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Behr has some wipe on tung oil with UV inhibitors I recently used on some rocking chairs outdoors. I have been pretty happy with it and you can recoat it as needed. I think it is call Scandinavian Tung Oil.

M

McRabbet

I used Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Varnish on our kitchen table when I refinished it shortly after we moved to Hendersonville two years ago. It is a high quality phenolic resin "short" oil varnish and is superb stuff. I carefully sanded off the old finish on the maple veneer top and stained it with Behlen's Solar-Lux Cherry stain to try to match the top to out cherry kitchen cabinets. Then I brush applied 3 coats of the Rockhard, thinning the first coat. It has yet to shown any water stains or blemishes -- it is a glossy finish and very hard. They recommend it for interior use only (our table sits in a bay window that faces south and has not faded at all). Behlen products are available from The Woodworking Store or Woodworkers Supply. HTH.

Rob

J

jeff...

NCPete said:
Now, I have to ask, why they have developed a finish specially for MARINES, and no ARMY grade finish?:slap:
Because my 2nd oldest son is a United States Marine, thats why! :qleft5:

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
I would think the spar poly would do fine for wearability. If I understand you correctly, I don't think the food contact is that big of a deal, assuming you're going to use plates or something, i.e. the food won't be in direct contact with the finish.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All finishes are non-toxic once fully cured. Now finishes that will stand up to what "food" can throw at it is a different story. Acids, alcohol, oils etc. As long as the piece will not be exposed to the weather any poly or oil/varnish blend like Waterlox should provide more than adequate protection. My .02, Dave:)

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I have read a couple articles recently (haven't tried it yet) about using expoxy on outdoor stuff. It works on my surfboards, so why not??

However, I can tell you from surfboard experience that it starts out crystal clear, but with time and UV exposure it will yellow somewhat. Also, you will probably want some wax in it (at least on the final coat), otherwise it will not be sandable.

See FWW # 179 (Oct 2005), pg 42 for some talk on this. He starts with epoxy and finishes with spar varnish.

My dad swears by Epifanes marine varnish and I used it on the wood on my canoe. However, I don't see ANY difference in wear between the Epifanes and Minwax from the BORG (except the price and hastle of finding Epifanes). Don't tell my dad...
:eusa_shhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors