Flattening Glued Up Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have glued up some more panels, with better results than my first go at it (Thanks again, Jay Brewer). These panels have one or two spots on the glue seams that are .030 and .040 inch off (higher or lower, depends on how you think about it).

There are no gobs of dried glue visible, but the panels are too wide for my planer. :help: The panels are 14" x 18" and 20" x 30"

Should I sand these spots flat, or plane them? Mind you, I only have a Stanley plane I bought at the BORG, and it has a chip in one corner of the iron. I do have tool money, but do not suggest a Lie-Nielsen plane. :eusa_naug

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
1) Belt sander followed by Random Orbit Sander
2) Find someone with a wide belt sander or drum sander and bring a six-pack of beer

Flattening a panel by hand is definitely feasible, but requires a good plane that's a. sharp, b. tuned, and c. in the hands of an experienced operator. When you say "Stanley plane", do you mean a Jack plane or a block plane?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Belt sanding will work, and I did it for many years. I would go diagonally to level the surface and then go with the grain at finer grits say up to 150 and then go to a ROS.

A hand plane is the way to go, but you are not going to get very far with an untuned Stanley. Putting a new Hock blade in it will make a substantial difference.

If all else fails, come to Wake Forest and you can wide belt, hand plane, or regular belt sand it in my shop.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
1) Belt sander followed by Random Orbit Sander
2) Find someone with a wide belt sander or drum sander and bring a six-pack of beer

Flattening a panel by hand is definitely feasible, but requires a good plane that's a. sharp, b. tuned, and c. in the hands of an experienced operator. When you say "Stanley plane", do you mean a Jack plane or a block plane?

+1 for #2. Has the benefit of getting to meet a fellow NCWW. I've done it with a belt/random orbital, takes awhile and I can always pick out the spots where I've done it that way.

Probably wouldn't use this as a way to learn how to use a hand plane. I'm trying to learn that now, sometimes you just make it worse.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bring your panels and your plane up to my place Saturday or Sunday. We'll turn your plane, plane your panels and I'll show you how to make flat panels so you don't have to do all that extra work.

thrytis

New User
Eric
If you want to go the cheap route, a Microplane sanding disc on your ROS will level it out fairly fast. They remove material a lot faster than the equivalent grit in sand paper. It has been a little while, but i think i mostly used the medium to level and switched to sand paper to smooth it out. The coarse is very aggressive. I don't think Microplane still makes them, but you can still buy them a lot of places (search froogle.com for "microplane disc").

4yanks

New User
Willie
Use a card scraper. Work the high spot down and feather out from there so as not to create a noticeable depression in the panel. A card scraper is cheap and can even be made from an old handsaw blade (Please not an antique!). Good luck.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There are no gobs of dried glue visible, but the panels are too wide for my planer. :help: The panels are 14" x 18" and 20" x 30"
Tom: if you decide to go the wide-belt sander route, and can't find anyone closer, you're welcome to bring them to my shop. I'm just north of Liberty, NC, in the northeast corner of Randolph county. My sander can handle both your panels. Just give me a heads-up and we can figure out a date.

Question: did you use biscuits to join the boards? If so, I'd wait a couple of weeks before doing anything to flatten the panels.

Bill

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Use a card scraper. Work the high spot down and feather out from there so as not to create a noticeable depression in the panel. A card scraper is cheap and can even be made from an old handsaw blade (Please not an antique!). Good luck.

That is an excellent suggestion. :icon_thum It is amazing how well a card scraper works.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you just did the glue up, let them sit for a few days and see if the ridge is swelling from the water in the glue. Level it now and the ridges become ruts if they're not dry. If they're dry lot's of good options above.

Dragon

New User
David
Bas, I have a bench plane. I enjoy a challenge, but even I will not plane a panel with a block plane!

What does the group think of this gizmo?
http://woodhaven.com/Woodhaven-3002-39-Planing-Sled/M/B002UZAVG6.htm

The "gizmo" is probably pretty good but you can build/make one a LOT cheaper. A little plywood or plexi glass, some steel angle, a few screws and nuts to hold it all together........not hard to do. In total in both of my current sleds I might have $20 invested.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As David said, you can make one a lot cheaper that works just as well. It's not hard. Years ago I flattened my work bench using a couple lengths of angle iron and some straight boards attached to the sides of the bench. It worked great, and cheap. But for just two panels, it still might be easier to find someone with a wide belt sander. If you expect to be doing this a lot in the future, then I'd go ahead and make a sled.

Bill

magellan44

New User
magellan44
I think hooking up with Mike Davis is a good bet and a good chance to learn a great deal.....Never turn down a chance to learn from one that offers to help....

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Or talk to one of use CNC router guys and get flat panels done without any work! Sorry Mike! I couldn't resist!
I've used a sled in the past and had good results.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

That is an excellent suggestion. :icon_thum It is amazing how well a card scraper works.

+2 on the card scraper. I flattened my DR table top with a scraper and it goes pretty fast.

Chuck

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Or talk to one of use CNC router guys and get flat panels done without any work! Sorry Mike! I couldn't resist!
I've used a sled in the past and had good results.

That's OK, if you got it use it! Out where I live we have learned not to depend too much on electricity.

I would love to have cnc for wood and metal, lathes and router tables. I'm sure my production would increase dramatically. But, then it would have to increase to cover the costs.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Mike,

In the past I've always had a fulltime job to pay for my hobbies. Now that I am unemployed I'm learning about the other side of things. This forum has helped me a lot lately (Thanks to all of you!) - but the CNC is going to have start earning its keep pretty soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors