Flat and Square. Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Whooo Hooo! I FINALLY got some shop time in this weekend. It had been a month or more since I was able to spend more than a few minutes at a time there and it was GREAT to be back!

My big accomplishment was to get my recently sharpened jointer and planer knives (which had been sitting on my bench for months) installed and set in my venerable griz machines. Sheesh, it was my first attempt ever at this process and I'm not exactly looking forward to doing it again. I know they're not exactly perfect but they seem to do ok. Since I've never owened a jointer or planer before and, other then taking a few passes on them when I first got them (where I quickly discovered the knives were in pretty sad shape), I've never quared up my own stock before. So, here's proof: some sawdust and my first homemade straight/flat/squre board (formerly a 2x6).

Travis

Sawdust1.jpg

View image in gallery

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Congratulations Travis. You're on your way! Don't you just love good results.

Bob

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
It's amazing how much easier your projects go together once you have squared stock~!

I too just learned this in December when I got me a jointer. Soooo Much nicer.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
It's amazing how much easier your projects go together once you have squared stock~!

I too just learned this in December when I got me a jointer. Soooo Much nicer.

Yeah. I have to admit I'm quite tired of digging through the BORG bins to find stock that is just barely close enough to almost work... Glad those days are over!

Travis

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yeah. I have to admit I'm quite tired of digging through the BORG bins to find stock that is just barely close enough to almost work... Glad those days are over!

Travis

The sky's the limit now, I really like throwing a board through the jointer and planer.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work Travis! I think I'm going to have to sharpen/change out my planer blades soon. Not looking forward to it. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
The sky's the limit now, I really like throwing a board through the jointer and planer.

Yeah.. I've got some rough walnut that has a bathroom cabinet locked inside screaming to get out! Now I've got the keys to open the door. Woot!!!

Nice work Travis! I think I'm going to have to sharpen/change out my planer blades soon. Not looking forward to it. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

The planer was not sooo bad. Since you don't have to reference a table you just use the setup jig and, once you get the hang of it it goes pretty quickly. It also has screws to raise/lower the knife rather than springs which made it a lot easier.

The jointer was a bear. I made those magnetic jigs which where referenced in another thread. The problem was the springs were so @#%@#$@#@ strong it was hard to hold the knife in position as they kept popping out. I ended up giving up on the jigs and just held them in place with my fingers (careful, don't slip!) while checking them with a dial indicator and slowly tightening the gibs. They're close enough but not exactly perfect. I'm hoping I won't have to do it again for a while and when I do I might experiment with completely removing the springs and just letting the magnets on the jig raise them into position....

Trav

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The jointer was a bear. I made those magnetic jigs which where referenced in another thread. The problem was the springs were so @#%@#$@#@ strong it was hard to hold the knife in position as they kept popping out.

I feel your pain. I was not particularly fond of setting jointer knives either... Congrats on getting square and flat stock! Now you'll have to tune all your other tools to take advantage of all that accuracy :gar-La;

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I feel your pain. I was not particularly fond of setting jointer knives either... Congrats on getting square and flat stock! Now you'll have to tune all your other tools to take advantage of all that accuracy :gar-La;

I've already tuned and setup the Incra fence for the TS, it's accurate within .001". At this point the least accurate tool in the shop is me! Unfortunatley theres not much I can do about that..... *sigh*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS