Flammable Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey all,

I know that most of us have flammable chemicals in the shop( ie. finishes, oils, spray paints, lubricants, thinners, etc.) does any one store them in a safety cabinet. Or are y'all like me and have everything over or under the workbench. The reason that I'm asking is that I have a chance to get a flammable liquids cabinet for about $100 (new $700) and I was wondering if it is worth it. My shop money is limited, so buying the cabinet takes away from tool, wood money.

Any opinions ? And how do you treat this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy:)

M

McRabbet

Burn the tools, lose 'em all. Protect the tools, you're better off. QED - Buy it!

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I agree with McRabbet, I have thought about appropriate storage, but haven't done anything yet. If you don't buy it, let the rest of us know about it. Sounds like a great buy!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jimmy,

How much insurance do you have on the tools? With some policies, the woodworking stuff isn't covered. While I'm sure nothing will ever happen to me, it does sound like a good idea to have a cabinet like that.

Ray

Glennbear

Glenn
Having spent some years during my working career as a firefighter/fire inspector I am concerned about fire safety hence I use an old chest type freezer for flammable storage . I have some modifications still to make to it once I get it placed in it's permanent home. I intend to add a tray to the bottom to confine spills and a vent for fumes to shop exterior. I think the cabinet you speak of would be a worthwhile investment. :wsmile:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
To make a long story short, I didn't get the cabinet. I contacted him Wed. night as soon as he posted, he got back to me late last night and scheduled a meet for today at noon, he said it was the earliest that he could make it. I put my daughters in my truck, still sick ( but not vomiting like yesterday) and was waiting for him at 11:45. He promptly showed up at 12:00 and told me he sold it last night:dontknow: ( I would have bought it last night but he said no), and he was real sorry but he lost my home ph#, my cell ph#, and my email address. But was I interested in some of the other stuff (all junk) that he had.

Some people just don't get it. At least he was only 12.5 miles from my house, or I might have killed him. Some times I hate dealing with people on CL, and sometimes they're real nice.

Anyway, thank y'all for listening.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Brings up a great question though.

I keep mine in a metal file drawer. Probably not very safe but better than nothing.

The freezer sounds like a good thing. My wife won't let me get an old one.

I guess she thinks I leave it out in the yard :rotflm: on blocks!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I keep all my finishing supplies and solvents in a old metal lab cabinet I got from NC State. It has a soap stone top. It's probably not as much protection as a true flammables cabinet, but as Mike said, it's better than nothing and cost me as much. And it can be locked, to keep inquiring little ones out of it...I hate for anyone else to get covered in Peach paint :eusa_eh:

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have a section of old metal lockers that were taken from a plant near here. I think there is 5 openings with locable doors.

I keep all my stains and other flammables in them. You can find something cheap or nearly free at some scrap yards too. Good luck, but DO something!

I also have 2 large fire extinguishers in my shop. Never thought I'd need them, but a small "lawn tractor fire" last year proved me wrong. Nothing like on when you need it! :icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IIRC, Gator keeps his in a refrigerator. I need to get a flammable storage cabinet, just haven't seen one at a good price.

J

jeff...

Considering my son and I have been working on a HHO cell, my fear of explosives and flammable gas has decreased considerably. We had to move our experiments outside after we figured out how to get a basketball sized flame off the top of a foldgers can filled with water. :eek:ccasion1 This stuff is almost more fun than dynamite and a lot cheaper...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Storing flammables in a refrigerator or freezer is a good idea as long as it's vented. No matter how tightly you put the lids on, vapors will accumulate. What they become when mixed together in a tight place is a BOOM waiting to happen. A vent fan is a good idea but try & get one where the motor is not in the air stream. A stray commutator spark could be disastrous. Remember, flammable liquids are those with a flash point below 100 degrees Fahrenheit. A rule of thumb is if it's lighter than kerosene (F.P. 100 degrees) it can flash.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Yeah,

I have to do something, A file cabinet or locker has to be better than what I have, which is pretty much everything sitting on a shelf out in the open.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The only thing I have up on you is my stuff is up high over the sink where the girls can't get to it. My problem is that I am running out of space. Too much LARGE machinery and inefficient use of wall space.........

gator

George
Corporate Member
Travis was right, I use an old freezer that was on its way to the landfill. I removed the motor and compressor. For venting, there are holes in the back which occur naturally when you gut the motor/compressor. I ran an old, old shop light through one of the holes and keep it burning in the winter with a 25W bulb. This keeps the interior warm enough to prevent any chance of freezing.

This is my first time trying to enclose a picture in the post (I used to just post the link but the new rules make it hard for a computer idiot like me:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:) so bear with me.

George

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Travis was right, I use an old freezer that was on its way to the landfill. I removed the motor and compressor. For venting, there are holes in the back which occur naturally when you gut the motor/compressor. I ran an old, old shop light through one of the holes and keep it burning in the winter with a 25W bulb. This keeps the interior warm enough to prevent any chance of freezing.

This is my first time trying to enclose a picture in the post (I used to just post the link but the new rules make it hard for a computer idiot like me:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:) so bear with me.

George

Nice job posting pictures George, And your phrase shouldn't be "a computer idiot like me" it should be "computer idiots like us", because I also resemble that remark:lol:. I do like the idea of a warming bulb for winter freezing.

J

jeff...

George

I thought there were brewkees in there, I did stop and think when I didn't see any glue or finishes in your shop...

gator

George
Corporate Member
Jeff -

Actually I have a little dorm sized fridge under my side bench.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS