Flag Case - Need some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hello all! I finally finished the flag case I started a while back. This is for my MIL's husband who passed away earlier this year.

Here's a pic, but my MIL was also given the casings from the 21 gun salute. I would like to arrange them in the case, but am having trouble figuring out how. I also need to know if there is any significance in how the casings are arranged. Let me know what you think. I still need to leave some room for several ribbons. BTW, he served in the Army in the late 50's.

IMG_0632.JPG

Thanks!!!

SRhody

New User
Stacey
I'd recommend 3 rows of 7, aligned in a small block such as:

xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx

have the 'bullet' end pointing towards the back and the rim towards the glass. You could drill a block to hold them or maybe carefully glue them together. Placement would depend on what else needs to fit into the case such as ribbons/medals/badges or rank(s).

Great job on the case.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
First,Thank you for honoring the Service of your MIL's Husband.The Flag Case turned out very good.I would also line up the shells in 3 rows of 7 with the shell faces toward the glass.The shells would line up better mounted in a block of wood.I was wondering if you need to treat the shells with a preservative first.Maybe someone will respond to recomend a finish.Tony

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
How about a triangle to match the frame with the ribbons in the center.

X
X.X
X....X
X..... X
X....... X
X......... X

Well, you get the idea

pete

PChristy

New User
Phillip
How about a triangle to match the frame with the ribbons in the center.

X
X.X
X....X
X..... X
X....... X
X......... X

Well, you get the idea

pete

This is the first thing I thought of when I seen the frame - I to thank you for honoring the service of one of our brave

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks for the ideas guys! The red field is about 2" thick foam. If I can pry it back out I may go with adding a block of cherry with the casings inserted.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm with Stacey on this one. The traditional memorial 21 gun salute is 3 volleys of 7.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS