First time with wicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
My daughter is active in her church and therefore carries a lot of food to different functions. I built this for her. It's made of SYP with wicker to cut down on the weight. The joints are dovetailed, locking miter and lose tenons. The bottoms are 3/16" oak ply. It's stained with Minwax Golden Oak stain and sprayed with General Finishes High Performance water based poly. The bottom section is tall enough to handle crock pots and 2 9x13 dishes sit nicely in the top tray. The lid can also double as a serving tray and will fit any of the trays. I put draw latches on each piece to lock the pieces together and set them in the back of her minivan.

This piece had couple of firsts for me. The first time I have worked with wicker and the first time I've used a locking miter joint. I learned 2 things: one, I should have bought a locking miter bit a long time ago and two you can never let wicker soak in water too long.

Rick Doby

Attachments

• DSCN0320.jpg
    DSCN0320.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN0323.jpg
    DSCN0323.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 158

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Rick,

Very nice work. Working with cane is sometimes finicky. I have done a lot of chairs using it and you're right, you can't let it soak too long. I really like the design of the piece. Nice and airy, letting all those good food smells emit from the openings.:lol: :lol: Getting hungry just talking about it. I'm sure she will be very pleased and will put it to good use.

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Rick!!! That is really nice and very functional too. Did you come up with the design yourself? The wicker really adds a attractive and professional touch to it. It looks like something that you would find at Williams-Sonoma or some fancy place like that. I think once the ladies at your daughter's functions see that you'll be making some more.
Dave:)

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Dave,

I raided our kitchen and measured some pots and pans to get the inside dimensions, 16"x22". I tend to design as I build.

Rocker

New User
John
Rick,
That is a really neat design. The colors are great and the workmanship looks especially fine. Your daughter will be proud to show that off!!!
John

MikeH

New User
Mike
Rick that is really neat. The fact that is it so functional and look awesome is great! Nice job.

M

McRabbet

Rick,

A very nice design and execution! Hope you signed your work with a nice medallion! I just installed one of the ones you made me yesterday in a 6-piece set of dining room cabinets I just built on commission.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good job! I am sure your daughter will get good use from it.
As for you, no rest for the wickered....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS