first time turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
okay, first time turner long time idiot......I turned a pen today and decided to do a CA finish, here is the question. how do you separate the pen from the bushings after all that CA has set? Luckily I was able to, however I know it wasn't the right way:BangHead:

This was a chunk of firewood I was about to toss in the wood stove the other night and noticed some nice figure in it, so I kept it from the ashes. trimmed it up on the bandsaw and cut a few sizes for pens and a few more for peppermills

what is your method for doing a CA finish?

pen.jpg

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ca is brittle. If I get stuck, I drop the pen section with the bushing down on the lathe bed lightly. Viola, ca cracks at the joint.

JBurbee

New User
Jay
Nice looking pen!! What species of wood is that? I can't wait to do my first pen!! BTW dozer, thanks for your help the other night!

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I wax the bushings and mandrel rod everytime I make a pen. I do this whether I am using CA or not.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I use a technique where a small drop of BLO and CA are applied together with a brisk back-and-forth motion to build heat. any glue that sticks to the bushings is typically thin and generally a light tap of the knurled knob at the end of the mandrel will do the trick. If not, I slide the barrel to the end of the mandrel with the bushing extended a little past the end and give it a little push to the side. I then check the barrel end to insure that no CA has extended past the edge of the barrel when I broke it loose. Eventually this will chip away and ruin the finish at the end of the barrel :BangHead:

dozer

Mike
Turning between centers would eliminate this problem all together. That is my next attempt I plan on trying.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
it was a piece of maple that I end trimmed from a load of logs that came in, tossed it all in the firewood pile and forgot about them.

I'm going to try between centers on the next one to see how that does, thanks for all the ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS