first tea table done

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
The tea table is finished. Tried a french polish technique discussed in finishing. Mahogany.
Not perfect and learned a lot. Plan to make a second for a night stand....
DSC_0123.JPG

View image in gallery

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That looks lovely!

LOML happened by and looked at it and asked why I couldn't finish any of my projects! :gar-La; :gar-La;

LOML :slap: Me

The flower pic is a nice touch.

How much time did you spend working out the finish?

Chuck

02blues

New User
john
:icon_scra
That looks lovely!

LOML happened by and looked at it and asked why I couldn't finish any of my projects! :gar-La; :gar-La;

LOML :slap: Me

The flower pic is a nice touch.

How much time did you spend working out the finish?

Chuck

Too funny. Believe me using only hand tools my wife has no expectations. A project per year is amazing for me. In addition its hard to move along working 2-3 hours / week. Oh well. It really is the process that we enjoy right?

The finish really didn't take too long (and that probably shows).
Im estimating about 5 hours:icon_scra
I spent at least that much time reading about how to french polish and trying to figure out if you can shellac over BLO etc etc. Really do like Jewitt. He is thae man.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Congratulations John on another great looking piece. Considering that all of the work is done with hand tools, you seem to turning them out right regular!

bobby g

02blues

New User
john
After that marathon bed this did seem kind of quick :dontknow:
I would like to make two more before moving on to another type of project. With that in mind I milled enough for three right off the bat and already have the other two tops glued.

hope to try a ball and claw on the third one.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

The table looks terrific. You used the french polish, as described in Jeff's book? I have to finish the night stand I just made. I'm leaning toward shellac but not sure.

The lip on the edge of the top; is that applied or did you rout that into the blank for the top? That's another thing I'd love to try.

Thanks for sharing.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
great looking, very classic piece. And that its done with only hand tools is a tribute to your patience and dedication. Very nicely done. The ball and claw should be an interesting challenge as well.

Dan

02blues

New User
john
John,

The table looks terrific. You used the french polish, as described in Jeff's book? I have to finish the night stand I just made. I'm leaning toward shellac but not sure.

The lip on the edge of the top; is that applied or did you rout that into the blank for the top? That's another thing I'd love to try.

Thanks for sharing.

I did use the method from Jeff's book. Before I used his recipe I did apply trans tint (amber then mahogany) then added mahogany gel stain.

Here is my version of Jeff Jewitts french polish I hope its OK to put this on the site If not delete.

I did start with a solid top and carved and hand routed out the center. a little challenging. Did not want to add a separate piece to the edge.

Hope that helps. Good luck. I like the shellac. Very forgiving at 1lb cut.

one lb cut shellac for brushing or french polishing

1lb shellac / 1 gal denatured alcohol

1lb Shellac 16oz 1oz (28grams)
--------------- = -------- = -------
1 gal Etoh 128oz 8oz (1cup)

french polishing use 1-2 lb cut

trans tint dye (amber then red brown)
Mahogany gel stain.
BLO plus rottenstone 2-3 coats
let cure for 3 days.
make a “rubber”
14 inch square unbleached muslin 80 thread /inch count (1.99/sq yard @ joanne fabrics).
wrap around wool batting ball (joanne fabrics 8.00$)
charge the batting with denatured alcohol.
wrap the wad in muslin
flatten and re open
add 1lb cut shellac to the batting
straight strokes; cover 3 times
recharge shellac as needed
Let dry
Reapply but this time
rub in circles and figure of 8.
if shellac is tacky add a few drops of baby oil
shine after 15 minutes
when covered let dry over night
next am light sanding with 600 grit lubricated with mineral spirits
000 steel wool
reapply shellac
when shellac dries out don’t add more press harder (30 lbs pressure).
baby oil as needed.
done when no longer see pores.
let dry a day or two then remove oil
remove oil:
wipe with naphtha

"my version..based on “Finishing” Page 249 by Jeff Jewitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors