First Table Saw Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Dennis -

Table mount trunnions (as on a contractor style saw) are bolted, as the name implies, on the underside of the table from underneath. So trying to adjust the blade arbor alignment so the blade is perfectly parallel to the miter slots can be difficult at best.

Cabinet mounted trunnions are mounted to the cabinet, independent of the table. So to adjust the alignment, it is a simple matter of loosening the table bolts and tapping the table lightly with a dead blow hammer to make an adjustment.

Cabinet saws are also generally quieter, have more power and have better dust collection capabilities.

I recently switch from a contractor style Craftsman saw I used for years to a Grizzly cabinet saw and the difference is night and day. I will say that probably the most critical factor in either is a good fence.

HTH,
Chris

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Quite a few of us have the original Sears Steel City 35990C. It is called the zipcode saw because it's model # was 22124.

It's all the saw I need and have had mine in 2004.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
I'm going to keep an eye on CL for a couple weeks to see what comes up. I'am a bit concerned with going used since I don't have alot of in-dpeth knowledge on table saws. It would be hard for me to really decide whether something wasn't messed up some.

I'm trying to do a bit more educating before actually putting some money out. I have done a bit more looking at the Steel City 35990C. This seems to be a bit of a upgrade over the 4512, but at a price as well. One thing I haven't quite got a grasp on and just how important it is, would be the difference between table mounted and cabinet mounted Trunnions. Anyone care to enlighten me on that one?

Don't be too afraid...there are plenty willing to help you out (I know I will, I took mine from a shell to running perfect)...also OWWM.com is a HUGE help in old machines.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Don't be too afraid...there are plenty willing to help you out (I know I will, I took mine from a shell to running perfect)...also OWWM.com is a HUGE help in old machines.

I agree with Brad. I was very apprehensive restoring my table saw, but with some awesome contributions from this forum (one gentleman even invited me over to his place to teach me how to change arbor bearings) plus owwm there wasn't anything I couldn't figure out. Also the learning experience of how a table saw works (blade bevel, raising lowering, alignment) was invaluable.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm going to keep an eye on CL for a couple weeks to see what comes up. I'am a bit concerned with going used since I don't have alot of in-dpeth knowledge on table saws. It would be hard for me to really decide whether something wasn't messed up some.

If you are looking at a mid-range contractor saw or better, they are not hard to check out. If it runs, the fence is in good shape and the tilt / height adjustments work smoothly, there is not much that can be wrong with it that a few adjustments won't fix. The ones that have been abused tend to be a little obvious.

If you find a saw you're interested, I'm sure you can find someone here who is nearby and would help you give it a final inspection.

Griffin_NC

New User
Dennis
So after looking for a bit off and on I haven't gotten much further. I'm leaning toward a hybrid saw. Can't really put a Cabinet saw in right now. Any have any experience with these? I have seen both good and bad with them. My greedy brain is leaning toward the Steel City thinking I might be able to squeeze some extras in with it and my budget. The Grizzly would take the whole budget probably.

http://www.toolking.com/steel-city-35990cs-10-inch-hybrid-table-saw

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0715P

Finally to the point that I can't really do anything else with wood without the use of a table saw. I've borrowed a few over time to do what I need from Neighbors or family, but that is getting a bit old now. My big debate is whether to go with a Job Site type saw with riser stand or a more traditional saw with a base. My shop is in my garage and I don't have a huge amount of room, but I just don't see me hauling the saw around like a job site saw is designed.

I haven't narrowed down any brands of models yet. But there seems to be a lack of saws that are more stationay on the market until you get into large cabinet saws. Which puts them out of my price range of around 500's. Any good mid-range saws out there other then the jobsite that are being made now. The only two that I have found so far are these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_101711-46069-PCB270TS_4294857520_4294937087_?productId=3161103

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Any other suggestions or ideas would be great.

After that I think I'm stuk with the DW744X or Bosch 4100 Series. I'm sure I would be paying a extra hundred dollars for a rolling stand and less features.

So after looking for a bit off and on I haven't gotten much further. I'm leaning toward a hybrid saw. Can't really put a Cabinet saw in right now. Any have any experience with these? I have seen both good and bad with them. My greedy brain is leaning toward the Steel City thinking I might be able to squeeze some extras in with it and my budget. The Grizzly would take the whole budget probably.

http://www.toolking.com/steel-city-35990cs-10-inch-hybrid-table-saw

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0715P

ehpoole

Ethan
I don't have any experience with the half-cabinet Steel City saw you specified. However, I do have the older (pre-riving knife) full-cabinet hybrid whose specs are pretty much the same as the 35900 model on that sight. I've been very happy with my tablesaw overall. Essentially, the Steel City, and the comparable Sears and Rigid models are all made by Orion.

If you go with the Steel City, though, opt for their higher-end fence option (what they now call the "Industrial Fence"). It is a big upgrade from the lower-end fence on the model you specified and well worth the investment. It is an very highly rated fence and a pleasure to use -- I can reliably set rip widths without even bothering to double-check settings nor squareness of the fence.

DWSmith

New User
David
When making a decision to purchase any equipment for woodworking, something to consider: "Is this a tool/equipment I can live with for many years to come". I have been guilty of trying to cut costs up-front only to find I didn't purchase a large enough or heavy duty enough tool/equipment and end up replacing it later on wasting time and money. I'm sure there are others here who know what I am speaking about. Look to the future and plan accordingly.

Used is okay! You can hear bad bearings, you can see an abused frnce, you can check for square, you can see obvious rust, you can see frayed and worn belts and the list goes on. If you find a saw you are interested in, I would bet the dollars in my wallet that someone close by to you will be willing to help inspect any saw before you actually purchase it.

Good luck with the search.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I would say of the two you have there the Grizzly has the better fence, but if you could get the upgraded fence or put an aftermarket on it (Incra, Beis, Vega, etc.) then I would lean towards the Steel City.

I do agree with Dave this is not the time to sell yourself short and cheap out. I've hit this a few times where I ended up paying for two tools to get the one I really needed.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
I would say of the two you have there the Grizzly has the better fence, but if you could get the upgraded fence or put an aftermarket on it (Incra, Beis, Vega, etc.) then I would lean towards the Steel City.

I do agree with Dave this is not the time to sell yourself short and cheap out. I've hit this a few times where I ended up paying for two tools to get the one I really needed.
I couldn't agree more. My brother paid nearly a grand for his craftsman hybrid and it isn't half the saw, nor half as pleasurable to operate, as my 1959 unite that I have a total of < $500 in including a biesemeyer fence and new motor

Griffin_NC

New User
Dennis
I don't have any experience with the half-cabinet Steel City saw you specified. However, I do have the older (pre-riving knife) full-cabinet hybrid whose specs are pretty much the same as the 35900 model on that sight. I've been very happy with my tablesaw overall. Essentially, the Steel City, and the comparable Sears and Rigid models are all made by Orion.

If you go with the Steel City, though, opt for their higher-end fence option (what they now call the "Industrial Fence"). It is a big upgrade from the lower-end fence on the model you specified and well worth the investment. It is an very highly rated fence and a pleasure to use -- I can reliably set rip widths without even bothering to double-check settings nor squareness of the fence.

I just scoured Steel City's website. It doesn't look like the Industrial Fence is a option on their Hybrid/Contractor saw. Wonder how bad the stock fence is with it. I did find the new catalog for them and they have it listed for $649 current for the the model with Cast Iron or Grainte wings.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Here is a good review of the steel city from lumberjocks: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2558

If you are leaning that way I would only go that route if you are willing to possibly invest a little more money in a Beis, Beis clone (shop fox, delta t2), vega, incra or other aftermarket fence (the price for these range from $160 to $500 new) if the default fence doesn't work out, not saying it won't.

Full disclosure I have a Delta T2 and it works great and will be all I need until I upgrade my current contractor saw to a SawStop PCS.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Should you happen across a PowerMatic 64 (Artisan Series) that's a great entry level saw. I've had one for many years and with the Vega fence, it's served me well.

I am looking to upgrade to a cabinet type saw, but for now, the PowerMatic does the job!
:)

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
For years I used the tablesaws in military base woodshops. Often fair machines that were poorly maintained over the years and often poor blades. I often resorted to a skill saw to make cuts. I even inherited a small table that had a skill saw mounted upside down in it. Then, I retired, settled down a few years and purchased a nice unisaw with a 52 inch fence. Wow, what a difference and much safer, and the beautiful cuts it could make. The shock made me pause for a couple of weeks. Then I went back to work for DOD, sold the unisaw, but bought a Grizzly 1023 with the small 30 inch fence, and sold it, and during every move, I sell my saw for a good price, and buy another to ship to my new location, now with a G0690. I will never be without a good saw again.

All of that said. Wait for a good used cabinet saw to be available, you will be much happier with it and be a better woodworker for it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS