First Table Saw Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffin_NC

New User
Dennis
Finally to the point that I can't really do anything else with wood without the use of a table saw. I've borrowed a few over time to do what I need from Neighbors or family, but that is getting a bit old now. My big debate is whether to go with a Job Site type saw with riser stand or a more traditional saw with a base. My shop is in my garage and I don't have a huge amount of room, but I just don't see me hauling the saw around like a job site saw is designed.

I haven't narrowed down any brands of models yet. But there seems to be a lack of saws that are more stationay on the market until you get into large cabinet saws. Which puts them out of my price range of around 500's. Any good mid-range saws out there other then the jobsite that are being made now. The only two that I have found so far are these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_101711-46069-PCB270TS_4294857520_4294937087_?productId=3161103

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Any other suggestions or ideas would be great.

After that I think I'm stuk with the DW744X or Bosch 4100 Series. I'm sure I would be paying a extra hundred dollars for a rolling stand and less features.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Dennis, it's been way too long since I bought a TS, so I can't provide any advice on brands. But here are a few things I would keep in mind before I bought.

• Make sure the blade is belt driven, not attached directly to the arbor of the motor.
  • For most woodworking operations, you need 1.5 hp. The two saws you listed are rated by amps. You can use a formula to determine HP.
  • What type of fence does it have? Most new saws come w/ pretty good fences, but some may require an aftermarket fence to get good performance.
  • Consider an older, used saw from someplace like Craig's List, or even flea-bay. If you've never purchased a TS, there are many others on here who can give you pointers on what to look for in a used tool.

Bill

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Look for a clean used cabinet or hybrid. $300-600 with 30" rails. Lumber suppliers may know's selling and there's always craigslist. Any used contractor saw that I'm aware of will fit your budget, but I just don't like them.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I bought a Jet 10" Workshop new for around $400 a few years ago, and it has served me well.

+100 on going with a belt-drive saw. Waaaay quieter.

morgantm

New User
Trent
I was in the same boat as you last month, I ended up going with the R4512. Very happy with it, its been working very well for me.

RickC

New User
Rick
I have what I believe is the earlier version of the R4512, the TS3650. Love it. It was square out of the box. That I believe is a better indication of the quality and NOT my ability to assemble!!!

It has served me well over the years. The "Herc-u-lift" set up on mine is invaluable as it allows me to move it around my shop and yet set it down solid!

Did replace the stock blade with a Freud, and never looked back!

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I have a General 50-185 table saw that has performed great. I have it about 8 years and have never had a problem. The fence is essentially a Biesemeyer and the table is cast iron. It is 2 HP as opposed to the 1 1/2 that is more common on other saws. Also, it is quite heavy which, after getting it in place, is a real benefit. The 2 HP has never bogged down and overall, I think it is a good buy. I think it now sells for about $900 new but you just might get one used if you look around. I don't know how close you are to me. I live in Pinehurst and would be happy to show it to you. If you would like, you can call me at 910-295-5005.

Slotman

New User
Roger
I have the Porter Cable saw and I love it. The only reason I chose it over the Ridgid was availability at the time.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would avoid the job site saws, unless you are hauling them to job sites. They are made lighter in order for a guy to be able to throw it in the back of the truck. Watch CL for a used contractor's saw, but be aware you will most likely want to up grade the fence. Expect to pay $200 - $350 depending upon condition and accessories included. Sometimes a dado and other blades are included.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a General 50-185 table saw that has performed great. I have it about 8 years and have never had a problem. The fence is essentially a Biesemeyer and the table is cast iron. It is 2 HP as opposed to the 1 1/2 that is more common on other saws. Also, it is quite heavy which, after getting it in place, is a real benefit. The 2 HP has never bogged down and overall, I think it is a good buy. I think it now sells for about $900 new but you just might get one used if you look around. I don't know how close you are to me. I live in Pinehurst and would be happy to show it to you. If you would like, you can call me at 910-295-5005.

I have this same saw. I sold saws at a woodworking store for several years. For the money this is about as good as it gets. Good saw. Don't know the going price now but I paid around $700.

Bill "Pop" Golden:thumbs_up

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
There are plenty of saws available in the contractor saw category. I had a 1.5hp Delta with a Unifence for 20 years and it did everything I ever asked of it. I suggest watching craigslist for something in the 300-400 range. You want a belt-drive unit with a good fence (unifence or biesmeyer clone). Most of these are built like a tank - a solid 20 year old TS has another 40 years left in it :>

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I really like my Delta clone contractor saw, but if I wanted to spend a little more I would go with the Steel City 35990C. I believe the trunions are cabinet mounted on that one, but it is more in the hybrid category as far as size goes and it comes in price wise a little under $700.

lumberjocks review

2slow

New User
chris
That looks like a deal on that Unisaw, and a cabinet saw takes up less floor space than a contractor saw.

Griffin_NC

New User
Dennis
I'm going to keep an eye on CL for a couple weeks to see what comes up. I'am a bit concerned with going used since I don't have alot of in-dpeth knowledge on table saws. It would be hard for me to really decide whether something wasn't messed up some.

I'm trying to do a bit more educating before actually putting some money out. I have done a bit more looking at the Steel City 35990C. This seems to be a bit of a upgrade over the 4512, but at a price as well. One thing I haven't quite got a grasp on and just how important it is, would be the difference between table mounted and cabinet mounted Trunnions. Anyone care to enlighten me on that one?

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
One thing I haven't quite got a grasp on and just how important it is, would be the difference between table mounted and cabinet mounted Trunnions. Anyone care to enlighten me on that one?[/COLOR]

The big advantage of cabinet mounted trunnions is the process of aligning the blade to the table's miter slots is made much simpler. This setup also tends to lend itself to beefier and more durable trunnions, but that isn't always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS