First post Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary K

New User
Gary
I signed up a while back, sorry I didn't post sooner. Better late than never!
I posted a couple of pics in the gallery. The avatar is my kayak that I built in '06/'07. I am glad I finished it before I got my lathe, or else it would be like other projects since then...unfinished.
Anyone want to paint my kitchen?:wink_smil
About me, I am 47 years young, have two wonderful grown children, and as long as I finish painting the kitchen, the LOML and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary March 3rd.
My wife is a quilter, I just found out that long arm sewing machines are more expensive than Oneway lathes. Did I mention that I like to kayak, turn bowls and pens, and build small boats. Anyway, glad to be here, maybe one day I will learn how to take a good picture and post some pics of my turnings.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome aboard Gary, I am glad that you joined us. We look forward to seeing some of your work and meeting you someday. We have lots of personal gatherings that you are officially invited to.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi there, Gary!!:icon_thum

Welcome to the site. We are all glad to see you join us. :wsmile: I sure would like to see what all is involved in building a kayak. I would bet that there is plenty that you could offer us.:icon_thum

By all means, post often and let's see some of your turning's.

Looking forward to your future posts!

Wayne

wchipper

New User
Cliff
Welcome Gary...kayak looks good, looks like you found the best woodworking site around. Glad to have you with use.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome Gary. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That kyak looks great. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I can't even imagine making one of those........... no......... wait......... I can see it now, and I'm sinking at an alarming rate! :rotflm:

Just looked for the thread that tells you how to post photos but can't remember where it is. I'm sure someone will chime in with that link pretty soon. Can't wait to see some more of your work and I look forward to your input in the forums. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Gary! Thanks for the intro. I would help you with the painting, but you'll soon find I have some issues with paint, especially peach/pink colored.
My wife quits too, and I think that she has more sewing machines than I have saws. I find the two hobbies very similar as you take big pieces of material, cut it up a join it back together in an attractive pattern. But fabric doesn't move, cost as much, or give you splinters.
I look forward to your input in the forums.
See you around!!!!

Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Gary! It's great to have another turner here on the forum. I can't wait to see all of those turnings. Did you say you had a Oneway lathe? :gar-Bi

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Gary! We know you'll enjoy the group and we look forward to more info about your boat building, including pics! And to answer your question about posting photos in a thread, go to the (sticky) first thread in the Frequently Asked Questions Forum (see the top menu bar at left) or, just click here!

gritz

New User
Robert
Welcome. You will like this bunch.
As a newby, I am really shown up by the work other mewby's are picturing. Let's see some pics of the Kayak and the turnings.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the gang, Gary! We're glad to have you aboard.

I hope you and LOYL get to celebrate your SILVER Anniversary. You'll have to do it without my help though. I HATE painting!! Actually it's the prep and cleanup I hate...

Good luck

Gary K

New User
Gary
Thanks to all for the kind words and most friendly welcome!
For those of you interested in what it takes to build a kayak the guy I bought plans from has an excellent website, scroll down this page to the strip building index for a step by step with pics.
Warning... I am not responsible if you decide you want to build one too.:rolleyes:
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Shop.htm

I do not have an Oneway, but I am a two lathe owner 1 Rikon mini and 1 Nova DVR3000

showphoto.php
showphoto.php

Last edited:

Gary K

New User
Gary
Actually I haven't tried to sell the Rikon, but since I got the Nova last June the Rikon has only spun buffing wheels.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
You've got a sweet setup there Gary! I hear those DVRs are a dream to work with. Our fearless leader turns on a DVR... IIRC. I bet folks would be curious to see a close up of the tool drawer you have there. It looks like a great design. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS