First hollow form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Understand folks, my lathe is a necessary evil. When I need it, it's there, and that's its purpose. An upcoming project for a friend is a cremation urn and before I begin spinning a large chunk of spalted maple, I need some practice. I glued some 2X4's together and turned a basic shape and hollowed it out. I wasn't looking for precision or an elaborate piece. Practice and skill development was the purpose. I wiped stain over it to reveal tool marks or sanding marks so better refine some finishing methods. It wasn't all terrible considering. I have two more practice pieces to do before I take the dive into the "not junk" wood. Wish me luck.

hollow.jpghollowII.jpghollowIII.jpg

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I am not one versed in the spinny world, but it looks like a good start to me. If it was my first stab at it, I would be proud...

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bill, I would compliment you on your finished piece. Pine or whatever the 2x4 was is very hard to turn without tear out and fuzzy grain. You will find hardwoods much easier to get a good finish on. Don't be too concerned about making the wall real thin. It's too easy to turn right through the side.

Roy G

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Thanks guys. I attempt to develop evils and difficulty in learning new things such as this. I feel like, If I can make something decent out of something difficult to work with, when it comes to something less evil or downright pleasant to work with, I should be able to make something beautiful.

The 2X4 glue-up made having to work the hollowing against end grain running horizontally on the lathe all the way through, and coming at many different directions including knots. I hate knots but you have to learn to work with them.

My current practice piece is mufti-layered poplar and red oak boards in a glue-up. This makes the end grain on the outside and inside running vertically in the lathe. It's a different animal altogether.

I'm learning and having fun.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Nice job, especially considering it's a first attempt!
What are your plans for the lid? Press fit, screw-in, other?
If press fit, a simple groove and o-ring seal is pretty easy to turn, and is somewhat forgiving for dimensional variations wood movement.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Understand folks, my lathe is a necessary evil. When I need it, it's there, and that's its purpose. An upcoming project for a friend is a cremation urn and before I begin spinning a large chunk of spalted maple, I need some practice. I glued some 2X4's together and turned a basic shape and hollowed it out. I wasn't looking for precision or an elaborate piece. Practice and skill development was the purpose. I wiped stain over it to reveal tool marks or sanding marks so better refine some finishing methods. It wasn't all terrible considering. I have two more practice pieces to do before I take the dive into the "not junk" wood. Wish me luck.

View attachment 16317View attachment 16318View attachment 16319
Very nice work my man. You do us locals proud!! :eusa_clap:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors